"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"Most people Quit before they ever get Started

NO POWER in Clarkston!! My day really started out bad. 
I pulled into work and noticed everything looked really dark in the buildings. 
I could barely open my car door the wind was so bad. And I should have taken that as a sign to just stay in my car had I known the confrontation I was about to collide into. 

I park my car on the other side of the entrance into my work to let parking spaces be available for clients. 

I park in front of a arthritis clinic. They actually have 2 home-aid signs in front of where I park that they have made themselves. They also have 2 handicap parking spots directly in front of their doors.
So I am heading into work feeling a little weary and this woman comes out and starts yelling at me. 
" HEY AREN'T YOU ONE OF THOSE GLITZ GIRLS?" 
"Yes...." without much time to speak or RUN!
" HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF KNOWING YOUR ARE TAKING THE PARKING SPOT OF THE ELDERLY? HUH?" 
" Ahh, EXCUSE me? I park all the way on the other side of the building and walk half this building for other people to have a parking spot." 
"YEAH, WELL THAT IS ON YOUR CONSCIENCE THAT YOU COULD TAKE THE SPOTS OF ELDERLY PEOPLE."  
"HOW YOU DON'T CARE THAT THE ELDERLY HAVE TO WALK."
"I am so sorry you think I do not care about elderly, you do NOT know me. Glitz does not have 1 reserved parking spot, and you have 4 directly in front of your building 2 of which you made yourself." 
And again she repeated herself interupting me AND speaking to me in front of her patients!
AND again, I apologized that she felt that way about me. Saying she did not know me and finally decided she was not a nice person and it didn't matter. 

There are some mean and miserable people out there. It is crazy how people can justify bad behavior. 
I have had my moments but to be purposefully  mean to some one I wouldn't do.

As I got into work I was greeted by glow in the dark smiles! I got to go back home, No power!
But before going home I asked "Ali" if we could change our 5pm coffee to a morning appointment. 

"Ali" and I met at Tim Hortons and had a really nice visit. I have always had a heart for youth. "Ali" is the same age as Ariel, 21. She is such a sweetheart. I usually do most of the listening. "Ali" is a great story teller and ALWAYS has a great story. She is a lot like Ariel in that way. But today she let me do a lot of the talking. She wanted to know how everything happened. It was a little easier to share but many of the details were so vivid it felt like that day all over again. It felt like it wasn't real to me again. It confused me but it was good to speak to "Ali" about it because she is so close to our family so she is like a "safe place."

I had a pretty good day. I had my moments and my moments "had" me but I was functional. 

I lead a group at church on Tuesday nights for Addiction which was butting up against my son's "upward ceremony."
I separated the two trying to make both of them but the Addiction group was very important to get to on time. "Jeremiah" was speaking about Ariel and me and how I never quit on her. It was such an honor. The tears streamed down my face in  his observance. 
He has been Ariels youth pastor and our good friend for over 7 years now. Ariel was 14 and very active in the youth group. We used to have small groups at our house and she played a very active role.
We never quit. It was because of Ariel and Brittany that Andy and I were so active. We wanted to be close to them. We wanted to be a influence in their lives. We wanted to be part of their lives. We did all nighters, we were camp counselors, we had over nighters at our house, we did devotionals, we prayed over those girls and NEVER NEVER quit on them.
Even having my own children I never quit. But you have to start FIRST.

This life is about people. Whether you are like the above woman and are abrasive and condemning or you want to be a positive influence  in someones life it takes ACTION. What kind of ACTION are you going to take???

Ariel and Brittany. So beautiful

ARIEL CHALLENGE: 
Take ACTION. Get Started! Find someone you want to be a good influence to and work at that, be that, own that.
 If encouraging someone else make YOU a better person than why not get on board?!
You are constantly influencing someone whether you know it or not. I told this to Ariel about 6 months ago when I softly approached her about knowing the life she was hiding. 
" Everything you do affects someone else. When you think you are not hurting anyone that is a lie you tell yourself to go sleep easier. YOU ARE." I used an analogy. "Ariel, how would you feel if I told you Uncle Andy and I were getting divorced?" 
Ariel responded "Well I would be upset, it would hurt me." 
"Well Ariel, think about it, it isn't about anyone technically but HIM AND I but look how others would be affected!"
Influence is powerful. It means that while others are watching you and riding on your shirt tales you have the power to make and break others too!
But there is a sweetness that goes with the sacrifice that out weighs everything.
 I wouldn't take back one hour of sleep, one all nighter, one head ache or handicap or one heartbreak for the Memories I have. 
For the Relationship I had. 
For the Influence I had.
And I encourage you to try and do the same. If you want a blessing be a blessing. 
It is about people.

“The purpose of influence is to "speak up for those who have no influence." (Pr.31:8) It's not about you.” Rick Warren

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment