"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, September 17, 2012

When Age starts RUNNING You Down!!

Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent. 
Psalms 71:9


My day was going sideways. It seemed  at 9:30am I had plenty of time to get everything done...But I didn't. As I counted my hours and recited my To-Do list I could not see the equation working in my Running favor.
I wanted to run 7. Yesterday I ran 13. But I had to just resign to the fact it was not going to happen.

Going on the Facts not on the Feelings!
I changed my run from a 7 miler to a 6 miler...
I can run on what I KNOW...or I can run on what I want....
  • 1 mile I know is not the end all...
  • More is not better...More weekly miles is what will prevent you from running 20 years down the road.
  • At this point of my training for the marathon it is about quality runs not quantity miles. Getting that Long run is essential. 
    • A friend of mine "Trisha"  was training for a marathon,she had a long run every week but she had short runs consisting of single digits only a couple more times through out her training week.
  • It is equally as important to have a healthy diet as it is to run. This is important for healing and energy. 
  • A couple miles difference in your overall mileage is not the end all in your training. 
The RUN: 
I May BE getting OLD But I am NOT giving IN!!
I ran it hard, It hurt. I was breathing heavy, feeling different aches and pains and convincing myself  "This is GOOD."
I do not run this hard as of late. Funny how the moment your lungs beg for air, and you body whines in disagreement with your decision to run like hell, my mind says "You fool. STOP."
I felt every hour or every minute of my age out there today. My mind was in FULL agreement with my body that I am getting OLD.
I looked down at my legs as I saw 38 years old-all over them. With little dimples laughing at me as I was trying to stay strong and youthful...the skin on my legs fell loose across my muscles, the firmness diminishing and leaving behind a haunting reality that I am not in my 20's anymore.
My knees and my ankles took turns abusing me with moments of quietness but just enough to come back at me for one more round of aggravation.
"Anita, shut up and run."
 "Let it hurt, catch your breath, then go hard again. Feel the pain, Embrace the moment, and make the most out of everything you have with in you." 
"And Call on to GOD in thanks, In awe, in appreciation for the pain, the passion and the opportunity to FEEL it all."

THIS WEEKS Favorite PEOPLE!!!
"PYLE": made the list AGAIN!! Such a great leader for our JH small group. He found my camera when I lost it and helped me clean up after over 20 kids and adults left my house a MESS!
"AMANDA S"- New Bride as of Saturday. I was so honored to get to do the reading at her most special day. She was so beautiful. I still can not believe she asked me. One of the greatest moments of my life.
"Ariel"- My Niece. So proud of her. I love that girl like my own.
"Lisa H"- Great Friend...Good listener and encourager. She tells it like it is!
"Paster Cliff P" - Loves me for me. I have a lot I am working on (on me)..but he gently listens to my ramblings. One of the smartest men I know when it involves the Gods Word.
Ariel is on the RIGHT and Sarah is on the left, Awesome nieces.

The RUNDOWN:
Distance: 6.01
Time: 46 min
Pace: 7:47

"Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength." Betty Fiedan

When Did you start feeling age creep in?? What were the signs???


ANITA

1 comment:

  1. good post. i needed it read this. you told me no take it easy and i did not listen. now two weeks before the race i have been working so hard for i have a "puffy" knee. now i have to baby it so it will be ready for my race and in the back of my head i hear a small voice saying "running a few miles this week or even a race is not worth $1000's in med. bills and a limp as you age. i will love on my body more, the only body God gave me. thanks again , courtney

    ReplyDelete