"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Things that can Run you Down.

I felt it coming on a few days ago. So I doubled up on my alkaline water and Juice Plus. But last night it decided to show me who was boss. I took 1 Motrin PM to help me sleep, and gargled with salt water, as well as sleeping with cough drops in my mouth. Did I say sleeping. More like tossing, turning, sneezing, blowing my nose and a little sleeping. I know that I was sleeping a bit cause I was also drooling..Nice!
Today was going to be a long run. HA! RIGHT! I am not even that dumb. Not this time anyway. I ran 7 miles yesterday pretty moderately and knew I was in no shape to do 20 in 34 degree weather. It did not matter how sunny it was It was still cold and there was a head wind that dropped the temp by about 10 degrees.
When I woke up I felt worse than when I went to bed. I had already resigned to the long run but not to NO RUN.
After getting kids breakfast, making their lunch and seeing them off the school I went back to bed!  This is very out of character for me, but I knew I was going to have to rest up to get 10 miles in today.
I woke up around 10am. Not so much because I felt I was ready more because there were things that were running through my head that I could not dispose of. As sick as I was feeling I knew that the only thing that was going to to help me through my "Head Cold" and not the physical one was to try and run it out. It was like a plague in my head, It was consuming me more than my sniffles and sneezes.
I had a good run with my partner, I met my goal, we said our good byes, and I headed home.
Although I was home, I felt my symptoms come back. They were not as debilitating as before my run.("THEY" being the toxic thoughts) They were still there just achy but not agonizing. And for that matter my physical cold even felt a bit better.
You may ask" Why would you run if you are sick?" Here are the rules to running when you are sick according to Runners World.
"Neck Rule." Symptoms below the neck (chest cold, bronchial infection, body ache) require time off, while symptoms above the neck (runny nose, stuffiness, sneezing) don't pose a risk to runners continuing workouts.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html 

So..This evening I feel pretty good. I did what I had to do. I recognized ALL my symptoms, then I  examined what I needed to do and what I needed Not to do. Now of course..I have to figure out when I AM GOING to get that dreaded long run in!

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment