"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Foods I enjoy..My Top 10!

I thought I would do something a bit different. I would share some of my foods that I enjoy. I am no Ultra Athlete who is going to share anything that seems Olympian..Just a Normal Girl who believes nutrition is important but it does not have to be rocket science. It can be done on a budget and can provide enjoyment for the taste buds as well!
Here are my TOP TEN FAVORITES!
  1. Grandma Murdocks Oatmeal 
  2. Peanut Butter & Honey Sandwhich on Whole Grain Bread
  3. Juice Plus. I take Vitamins and Protein Powder
  4. Oikos GREEK Yogurt
  5. Cottage Cheese
  6. Spinach.
  7. Fruit..ALL fruit
  8. Salad...ALL salads
  9. Lifeway Kefir Probiotic
  10. Leftovers Trail Mix
I will give a Brief description of the ones I would like to elaborate on.
  • Grandma Murdocks Oatmeal. That would be my Grandma, My hero. She used to make me eat this Oatmeal and she put all this WEIRD stuff in it. As a kid I thought it was weird but it tasted good and I now make it in rememberance of her..BTW..She lived to be 99..thats another post!
INGREDIENTS: 1 cup Irish Cut Oats, 1 Tbls Oat Bran, Walnuts, Raisins, cherries or Cranberries, 1Tbls Wheat Germ, 1 Tbls Flax seed, dash of salt,water- Butter, Brown Suger and Milk to top..You have to cook about 30 -45 minutes on stove top. Stir often on medium heat. The texture is more defined. I like thick textured oatmeal. I usually make a large amount and save leftovers. My boys LOVE this Oatmeal!

  •  Juice Plus..IS NOT A SUPPLEMENT..ALL fruit and vegetable. It has a nutrition guide not a Supplement guide! Big Difference. I double up on these on long runs for recovery.
  • Greek Yogurt has more than 2 times the amont of protien, Needed for healing and recovery.
  • Cottage cheese goes great with everything..Instead of sour cream on a baked potato, with pineapple or mandarin oranges, it is a quick tasty way to get protein and keep the fat down.
  • Spinach-NOT JUST FOR POPEYE! I sneak it in everywhere! Cold salads, Pasta Salads,Omelets,  Meatloaf, Mostacholi, Spaghetti, Burgers, you name it!
  • Left Overs Trail mix. This is how I empty the left over cereal boxes! Kids always seem to leave a 1/4 cup of whatever in the container. So for cereal I make use of it. I put whatever cereal (favorites, Special K, Honey Nut Cheerios, Kashi), Nuts, Raisins, Cherries, or Cranberries, Dates, and whatever else might fit in the mix that is in the pantry!..Kids love this too!
Some of my other favorites are, CHIA Seeds, Chocolate Milk, POPCORN...Love love love it! I have a bit of a sweet tooth..lol..so of course this girls LOVES Dark Chocolate..Yum!
All this talk of food, Now I think I want a little snacky snack..

Anita!

No comments:

Post a Comment