"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Distraction.

I am not sure if it is A.D.D. or what but I am easily distracted.
I fit my run in this afternoon after running errands all afternoon and right before our junior high small group.
There was No way I was going to miss out on a run today. It was 51 degrees in Michigan.
Yeah, I got spit on most of my run but it was better than coming home cold and wet from snow. It was better than almost slipping on ice, and it was better than trying to warm up for an hour or two...
The rain was invigorating in those temperatures.
It was so nice out running BUT I was like a little kid in a candy store:
"Oh look the horses are out, Ahhh."
"Oooh. check out those birds flying up there, they are beautiful."
"SERIOUSLY? Someone cut the head and tail off that dear and left him there?"
"Yikes, That is a big ole turtle, why was he out this time of year anyway?"

Those were just my visual distractions!

The mental/emotional distractions were even worse. I could hardly keep my pace steady. I would think about different subjects and feel my fists clench in anger at the hurtfulness of man or I would drop my shoulders as I thought of Ariel and  feel the tears well up in my eyes.

Back and forth my pace went. From slow to fast, then from exhausted to exhilarated, my body just reacted.
I would look at my watch and try to get my head back in the game for a moment here and there.
DISTRACTED.
Distracted by a conversation, distracted by an images, distracted by my faults or the past, the future, the good and the bad.

"Pick you legs UP, NITA." Once again distracted I felt my feet sloppy and tripping over themselves.
  • WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?
  • WHAT ARE YOU LETTING HIJACK YOUR TASK AT HAND?
  • ARE YOU ENTERTAINING STINKING THINKING?
  • WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH?
  • KEEP FOCUSED, LOOK STRAIGHT, THINK GREAT!
  Psalms 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."


Getting my head back in the game I reminded myself the goal. 6 Miles. Comfortable Pace. As I felt my mind begin to respond to my internal motivation I decided I could add 1 more mile in there. My legs were just making a rhythm and so was my head. The rain against my skin even helped to turn the legs over.
I reviewed my thoughts and filtered out any consuming or nonconstructive thinking and replaced them with prayers and gratitude. 
Keeping my head up I directed my eyes forward. I occasionally found myself wiping the rain from my blurred vision only to find myself seeking and focusing towards the GOAL!


" I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:14

What is distracting you?? Who or what do you keep focusing on that is preventing you from being the person you were called to be? Where are you losing focus or where do you keep getting "tripped up?"


Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment