"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Turn around Point

It is always fun to try out our new running goods. For Christmas I received a handful of running gear. I could hear the items  begging to come out of their packages and go outside and play.

The sun was shining and making the ice glisten off the trees. It was almost mesmerizing  to look at. Throughout the night and early morning we had another 2 inches of snow fall. The snow was beautiful to look at as it rested over everything so delicately. The snow was much more gentle then the ice storm we received just days before.
As I began to run- the innocent looking snow disguised the slippery ice just below. I began running only quickly noticed I would have to share the roads with the cars because the shoulder was underneath layers of slush, snow and ice.
This is a chance I sometimes have to take. My line of defense is to smile really BIG as the cars are coming my way. I always wave "Hi" or nod at them to try and prevent them from getting mad at me.
I am not scared though. I have come very close to getting hit several times. I do not have a death wish, However; as responsible as I am some people are mean while others are careless.

This afternoon I had not made it a mile when 2 very large trucks were coming towards me. I had to jump into the snow embankment. When doing so I slipped on the hidden ice flying into the air. I barely landed as I felt my legs coming out from the road. I desperately tried to correct myself bouncing out of the muddy slush. Mortified that I was directly in front of the intersection I managed to paste that smile back on and act like it never happened. There was no denying my drenched gloves and muddy butt. I looked like I had a bathroom problem and used my gloves to clean up the mess!

I recovered well not letting my hurt pride steal my run. It was just so perfect that I found myself even smiling when there were no cars coming.
When I got to the high school I decided to turn around and head back home. Shockingly the wind slapped me square in the face. "What the heck?" I thought pondering over the origin of the nasty wind. The air was bitter and cold causing me to zip my fleece up to my chin. I tucked my hands into my sleeves because my gloves were now frozen. Within minutes my eyes began to water turning my eyelashes into icicles.

My run coming home was so much different then my run going out. It really got my mind going.
Crazy how we can run the course of life and know our route only just in a blink of an eye everything feels so foreign. Everything we thought we knew is gone. Life is skewed.
We make these turns in life where suddenly we don't know where we are going or how we are going to get there.

As the wind blasted me I decided I had to dig in. I knew I had almost 4 miles home and quitting was not option. I had bouts of entertaining the thought though. Somewhere in between almost getting hit a half dozen times and sludged even more. The route home was the same so I laughed at myself at how much different the other side of the rode was. "How can this side of the rode be so terrible?" I asked myself with soaked socks. I had to keep jumping in the ditch to avoid cars.
We all have these turning points in our lives. Sometimes for the good and sometimes not so good.
The path is laid out before us to travel. Even when the conditions are less than desirable do not give up. Even when you get confused and you wonder how much more of a beating you can take..Don't give up.

Andy got a call from one of our church kids who has gone stray. He is now 21 years old. He called on Christmas day. He wanted to know if you would still go to Heaven if you committed suicide. Andy went upstairs and convinced him to keep going. Not to give up. This young man was feeling beaten up. He later thanked Andy and told Andy he made his day!

This Christmas was a Turning Point for me. I travel down the road of grief and pain losing Ariel. I keep it buried most of days but the pain is still very raw. It has been a little over a year. But today I smiled. I smiled knowing I have the most amazing memories SHE gave me. I smile knowing she loved me beyond measure. I may never experience the LOVE she gave me again but I smile knowing I had it. If only for a little while I had it. I smile knowing she is in Heaven and that I was a part of influencing her. I smile knowing that one day I will See Her AGAIN! I smile knowing that I have the greatest gift that no one can ever take from me. Her LOVE and her Memories.  I am smiling even as I write this. This truly is a turning point.

RUNDOWN
Distance:9:34
Pace: 8:24
Time:1:18

What is Your Turning Point??

No comments:

Post a Comment