"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Playing Make Believe to the Finish

"You have a choice.You can Throw in the Towel, or You can Use it to Wipe the SWEAT off Your Face!"

Duplicating last weeks indoor track run at "The Mothership" was NOT an option. The thought of running around a track over 70 times again made me cringe. 

It was a Suck It Up Buttercup kind of day.
It was another 18 miler. 
I was motivated my a client that came in on Saturday. "Jenn" is not just a all year long runner she is also a coach, mentor and encourager. 
She sat in my chair for the first time with a contagious smile and a voice of excitement. She had led her running club that morning outside. OUTSIDE.....

Suck it up Buttercup. Get your gear and get your butt out there. It was cold and windy and the sun was being overtaken quickly by clouds. 

I thought of a couple tips to help me prepare for my Long Run Outside:

  1. Attitude is EVERYTHING! Get Motivate. Find a partner to help encourage you. Take the time to enjoy being alone with yourself.
  2. Dress For Success! If you fail to plan you plan to fail. Check the weather and do not forget checking the wind chill. Layer up: Your “Base Layer” should fit snugly and be moisture wicking. A “Mid Layer” should insulate and keep body heat from escaping and the “Outer Layer” should be wind-resistant and/or waterproof in case of rain or snow.
  3. Fluids and Fuel! Even though it is cold out try not to forget to drink fluids and fuel your body properly. On long runs don't forget to take a gel or your nutrition every 45 minutes.
 I had my run motivated by preparing to have running partners at different legs of my run. The first 5 1/2 miles I ran solo. The second 6 miles "Jeff" met me and we did a 11 minute run with a 1 minute walk. As we came back into the school parking lot we noticed the beginner walking club coming in. It was so fun giving all the runners high fives and words of encouragement.
But I had 6 more miles to go and I couldn't feel my chin and my words were starting to slur from the cold.
I was off to meet "Heidi" for my last leg. As I got closer to her house I got the text...The one that said she was not going to be able to make it.
Internal motivation needed to present itself real fast.

I quickly positioned each of my running partners around me. I was leading them like Forrest Gump. "Danielle", "Heidi", "Andy", "Katie" and  "Sarah". I sought God for strength and endurance. I thought of those who have conquered great victories like "Molina" and those who have had long runs similar to mine like "Michelle B".  I even pretended that Mom, Dad and "Ariel" were waiting for me at my finish line.
My legs began turning over. I looked at my watch and I had 4 miles to go and I was running a 8:10 pace. Where was this coming from. 
I felt great
.
THE RUNDOWN
Time: 2:39
Pace:8:49
Distance: 18:02
I ran the same pace with hills, wind and cold as I ran last week...Grateful.

One of the biggest encouragers is my online running  journal, Dailymile.
I am always encouraged and inspired by other runners. This site is like Facebook for athletes. the site logs your runs and goals. 
For the group I coach I encouraged them to log their runs. It is great to log and keep track of your training but it is also fun to be encouraged, motivated and have a forum available to help answers questions. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing." 
1 Thess 5:11

WHO HAVE YOU ENCOURAGED LATELY? 

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment