"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 25, 2013

Training Runs Defined

I was feeling a little lazy today. Austin stayed home "sick" today and that threw a dagger in the day.
I was moving turtle slow and time was running low for me to get my double digit run in today.

Looking at the clock I knew I had to head to the gym or my day would get a lot worse for everyone if I did not get my run in!

Monday Runday: I headed to one of the treadmills without much of a fight. It was rather dead at Genesys this afternoon. I like having people around me on the treadmill because they are like my secret running partners. Sometimes I even compete with them and I know they are doing the same with me because I can feel them glancing at my digits on the treadmill. You have to do whatever it takes to get through the dreaded treadmill run from daydreaming to racing.

But my mind went back to the Husky Roadrunners. This is the running club we have in Holly. Many are first time runners and many more are conditioned runners.
I am taking a group out to the track this Thursday to do some speed work. I have had several questions about different running jargon that I just let roll off my tongue. I don't realize to some this running language is like I am speaking a foreign language, Runlish or something.

So here is some of the Jargon and their definitions as well as some Running Workouts!

  1. Progressive Run: The run gets progressively faster each mile.  You typically start this run out slower than race pace and finish strong. 
  2. Tempo Run: Tempo runs are slightly more intense than steady-state runs and are designed to increase your stamina. As the name suggests, you really improve your running tempo or rhythm with these workouts. They last between 15 and 30 minutes and are run between your :40:00 (40 minute) and 1:15:00 race pace. Tempo runs are meant to be "comfortably hard" so don't push the pace. Your heart rate will likely be between 85 and 90% of max.
  3. Speedwork:is any running workout in which you run faster than your normal pace for a certain time or distance, or intervals. In between those fast intervals, you typically recover at a slower-than-normal pace.
Here are a couple runs you can do to add a little kick to your run!

1. TREADMILL: TREADMILL with Dave Scott

This workout will help you maintain muscular endurance—elevating the firing of the faster twitch fibers—and leg turnover in the off season.
  • Warm Up: 8-12 minutes at 1.5 to 2 percent grade, starting off with a slow jog. In the last 3-5 minutes of the warm-up, gradually increase to your standard aerobic speed (outside pace).
  • First Set: 6x2 minutes on a hill with 1-minute rest intervals; effort should be moderately hard at the offset
    • 45 seconds at 5 percent grade (don’t change speed)
    • 45 seconds at 6 percent grade (don’t change speed)
    • 30 seconds at 7 percent grade (don’t change speed)
    • 1 minute rest interval at 2 percent grade (remain at your aerobic pace; don’t go down to a softer speed)
    • Repeat 5-8 more times
  • Second Set (leg turnover): 8-12x20 seconds at 0-.5 percent grade; you should be working at a sub-threshold pace. Segments are short to avoid unnecessary stress.
    • Run for 20 seconds with good balance, symmetry and control; it’s not a flat out sprint.
    • Jump off belt and straddle the treadmill for 20 seconds
    • Jump back on for 20 seconds
    • Repeat this sequence 8-12 times
  • Third Set (if time permits): Run steady at aerobic pace for 12-20 minutes (1.5-2 percent grade).
  • Extra Credit: Repeat sets 1 (with slight modification) and 2.
    • Set 1 (modification): 6x1 minute on hills from 5- to 7-percent grades. Effort should be moderately hard to hard at the end. Include a rest interval of 1 minute between each round.
    • Set 2: Same leg turnover set at 8x20 seconds
  • Cool Down
2.  PROGRESSIVE Mill Hill Repeats (Matt A)

10:00 pace throughout.
Mile1 slowly increased to a 6% incline,
M2 6% incline,
M3 0% incline,
M4 7% incline,
M5 0% incline,
M6 8% incline,
M7 0% incline,
M8 9% incline,
M10 AND M11 0%.
Followed up with a 1/2 mile cool-down walk.
YOU PICK THE MILES YOU ARE GOING TO DO AND PACE. THIS IS JUST AN Example.

The snow is melting it is time to get outside and play. Time to kick it up a notch. Time to have fun. Run Hills, do repeats, hit the track...Feel the BURN!

Anita










No comments:

Post a Comment