"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Don't Forget your own Victories!




Why do we forget where we come from? Why do we forget our victories we have achieved?
We forget all the hard work we have put into our own Personal Best. Many of us have reached goals, climbed mountains and even moved our own mountains and yet...we get distracted by the achievements of others.
We secretly peek out of the corner of our eyes looking at other peoples training and accomplishments when we just finished with OUR greatest victories!
Suddenly we are minimizing our triumphs and letting others trump all our hard work and achievements.

1 Samuel 18:8 "Then Saul became very angry, for this saying displeased him; and he said, "They have ascribed to David ten thousands, but to me they have ascribed thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?"

As I read this I saw that Saul lost his FOCUS. He forgot the greatness that he had brought forth at one time. 
Saul  had "thousands" but because he focused on Davids victories he lost sight of the person God created him to be. 
God did not make me to be Kara Goucher or Paula Ratcliff.  
God did not even create me to be "Ken K" or "Michelle B". Both of these runners have awesome accolades and are incredible runners. God wants me to notice them through encouragement and edification but not jealousy and envy.
1 Samuel 18:9 "And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David."

Because the people made more of David's single victory than all of Saul's, the king went into a rage and became jealous of David.
Saul looked at Davids Victories and forgot about his own.
Isn't that what we do. We have a PR or we run a distance we have never ran and we  hear about "So and So" doing something great and find our self deflating our own Triumph.

We have a great day and then hear about someones elses day and quickly lose that "Loving Feeling".
  • Enjoy Your Victory. 
  • Don't get Distracted.
  • Use other peoples' Victories as Encouragement not Discouragement.
The RUNDOWN:
Distance: 7 miles
First 5 miles I did a PROGRESSIVE RUN:  (A run that each mile get progressively faster.)
I started out at a 8:30 pace on the TM and my last mile I averaged a 7:18 mile. I had the incline set at 1%.
The last 2 miles I ran the track and did sprints along the straight way and slowed down around the curves.

I encourage you to let other peoples Victories, Achievements and Blessings be just that Theirs!
Enjoy Your Accomplishments. You have worked hard for them.



Anita





3 comments:

  1. Me? Maybe you mean a different Michelle B. I have no discernible talent or ability as a runner. All I have is the determination and willpower to keep dragging myself forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely YOU!!! Michelle all the Marathons you do..Very inspiring!! Your determination...Also Inspiring.

      Delete
  2. It is also ok to have an "off day". It's ok to give yourself a break and take a breather. Not every run will be the pace/time/distance you might have in mind - and that is just fine! I've learned that if I start to put too much stress on all the little details, I lose the enjoyment of running - which totally defeats the purpose. I run because I WANT to - not because I HAVE to :)

    ReplyDelete