"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Run For A Remedy 2011

My Team: Katie, Me, Megan, Gina


 Run for a Remedy 2012
I have been working on cruise control for about 4 days now. Lack of sleep poor eating and Go GO GO. 
This morning the alarm went of at 5AM. This was the day when 1 year of work was going to prove itself in about 1 hour. You know kinda like when you spend 2 hours making dinner and everyone eats it in 15 minutes! Same scenario.
The salon I work at does an annual fundraising event to raise money for Children's Leukeimia Foundation. This event has inflatables for chhildren,food, games, entertainment, and a Cut a thon.
5 years ago I suggested to try a 5k run. It has been our kick off ever since! 
This year we raised over 2000$! And despite the heat and humidity had a very successful day.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain

It is really a great run. We have medals and prizes and even entertainment.
Andy came out to run as he does every year. This was Andys FIRST race since his Achilles Tendon surgery last November.
I decided I was going to Bandit run. ( Bandit run: run without a chip or bib, not registered).I ran last year and was embarrassed when I placed. I think it is awkward as a race director to win a prize at the race you direct.
I also decide to run it with Andy and cheer him on.

As we lined up at the starting line many of us were already perspiring. This was going to be a hot one. The national anthem was being sung as the rest of the runners lined up. I was so excited to see the runners in the corral. All the hard work, phone calls, organizing, looked like it had paid off. I finished saying encouraging words to the runners I recognized and gave a friendly smile and word to the new ones. Standing by Andy towards the front we heard the BANG.. And we were Off!

I do not like RACING 5Ks. They are fast and hard. But I really love Running them! I stood next to Andy with a Camera in my hand. Running and snapping friendly pictures at the runners. I would run with Andy, then turn around snap a couple pictures, then speed back up to him and continue to do this for over a mile and half. I was having so much fun. Then I do what I love to do. Encourage the runners. I love giving high fives and motivating them up the hill and through the heat. There is something powerful about hearing someone say, "Come on Anita help me get up that hill." You do not have to ask me twice!

Andy wanted to finish in under 27 minutes.  He finished.....25.51!!! So happy for him!!

"Don't be afraid to look silly." Tara Strong

Kelli and I..Sometimes I feel like a nut! There is this big kid inside me that looks for opportunities to sneak out!!

 
 There was many more fun things to do! I love being a goof ball. It is like this little kid that lives inside me. When I saw all this fun equipment coming out of a old fire truck I knew I had to check it out. It only took me a minute to know I wanted to try it all on. It took me a few minutes to convince "Kelli" to do it with me!

The Closing is simple.
* Do something for something bigger than You. Give Back.
*Encouraging words not only make others smile but it will make the heart swell.
*Encouragement come easy, a smile or a a word a wink.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment