"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Are you looking for a Coach? Or would you make a good Coach?!

Coach-To Train or Instruct.

Coach*Accountability*Mentor*Encourage*Edify* Train*Leadership*Influence*

Did you know there is always someone watching you? Someone is waiting to see how you respond, or how you react. Sometimes you are teaching someone and do not even know it.

This morning I headed out the door to go for my run. Andy had instructed me after my repeats that today needed to be an "easy" run. 5 miles at a conversational pace.
I went to get the Garmin that was plugged in charging all night only to discover it wouldn't
even turn out. Ugh. Technical difficulties AGAIN!

As I headed out I couldn't help but over hear my neighbors screaming and yelling at each other. It was barely 8 in the morning. "YOU STAY WITH ME, YOUR DADDY IS TO BUSY FOR YOU TODAY." The wife screamed at her 2 little girls. who were of course crying.
I quickly got my earbuds in place and turned the volume up before I had to hear any more domestic squabbling.
My heart was broken for this entire family.

Not wanting that to rent space in my head for the next 50 minutes I turned my thoughts to Andy and his training regimen he had for me. Andy wanted me to do 5 miles but I wanted to do 7 miles. As I set out I could feel the soreness in my legs. My rear end felt like it had a charlie horse already in it. I decided quickly that 7 miles was probably not a good idea...lets try 6. Thats a good compromise.

As I finished my run I put all the gear away and traded it for a bible, cup of coffee, a banana and the computer. It was so nice out I brought this all outside with me.

"Failure is only postponed success as long as courage 'coaches' ambition. The habit of persistence is the habit of victory."

I am currently reading in Genesis. One chapter at a time. There is a girl that I work with "Kelli" who has been wanting to read the bible. She is a new Christian, although she did go to a Christian school growing up Kelli never really adhered to anything. She just was going through the motions.
A few weeks ago I stepped out on a limp and called her and explained that I was starting the bible from the beginning again and wanted to know if she would like to do it with me. I continued to say that I would like to email back and forth after every chapter any questions, thoughts or "Ah Ha" moments.
I anxiously waited for her response.

I am not a bible scholar AT ALL. But I do enjoy reading and growing. I love to have someone to share with me. It is like when you read a good book and want to give it to someone to read so you can discuss it. Or when you go on vacation and think.."I wish so and so where here to see this."
And then the text came through..
"Yes, I would love that."
I was so thrilled.
Together we have read and studied and shared. I love watching her grow and ask questions and read ahead with anticipation.
It just took a little courage to ask. And it has become great accountability for me.

There are so many opportunities to help someone grow. It is easy to be around those that are "like" you. But sometimes you have to come down to someone else's place because they want to get closer to where you may be.

Andy COACHES me..but I have to want to be coached! He has never been where I am but Andy has gifts that can help him train me to be more than I am. Qualities that I have learned to trust. He is organized, motivated, a nurse, great with numbers and if he doesn't have an answer he finds it. He is a great coach.

Kelli..has a teachable heart. She wants to learn and grow. She does the work and enjoys it.

I encourage you to look outside of you. There is a bigger picture. Sorry, There just is! Look around. Is there someone you can help coach? Someone that may be watching you? Someone you believe in?
Or do you need a coach? Honestly..I do not think any of us have "arrived". A little coaching from someone may do some of us some good!
"I have a lot of respect for tough coaches." Reggie White
Coaches in my Life:
Andy- Life, spiritual and running coach.
Mom (Andys mom. not to confuse) Life Coach, spiritual mentor
Dad(Andys Dad.not to confuse) Life Coach, spiritual mentor,
Pastor Cliff/ Pastor Jim- Spiritual Coach
Nan Reynolds- Life Coach
Clint Verran- Running Coach
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment