"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, July 18, 2011

The Dreadmill is better than the DeadMILL!

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Christopher Reeve

I have felt like Mother Nature is really trying to sabotage my running program. The last few days have been in the 90's. I have tried all different things:
  • Running extra early
  • Running really late
  • Running with a wet head to help cool me off
  • Running with drinking water AND cooling off water to pour over me
  • Running on dirt roads
I have even cut back my milage and resigned to the fact you do what you can in the heat but training hard is setting an expectation that can lead to disappointment.
With the heat you have to adjust your training and be flexible to different options.

SATURDAY NIGHT- 91* Cut my miles from a 7 miler to a 4 mile tempo run.
SUNDAY NIGHT- 93* Ran a 11 and 1 with Andy for 5 miles, slow and steady, then ran 5 miles alone still doing a 11 and 1 but 45 seconds faster....but still not to fast.. Total 10.
(I was so proud of Andy at mile 4.25 he started to dry heave, "Anita, I can't do it, I think I am gonna puke." I encouraged him and coached him all the way in, he never stopped.  Great Job Andy!)
MONDAY MORNING-95*..OOHH for Pete's sake..whatever that means..basically you gotta be kidding me! This is a huge month for training and the forecast for the next 10 days is all about the 90's!
If I run outside in this I will be road kill.Only not from cars rather from the heat.
So what other tricks do I have for running in the heat?
Kenny Rogers says it best " You gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them."
I am not gonna throw in the towel that fast I am just gonna return to the DREADMILL and exit off the idea of running 7 miles outside.
Not Succumbing to Defeat:
There were more challenges today than just the heat. I had to laugh when I went out to my car only to find my battery DEAD. Ok..
I could Run to the gym after all it is only a half a mile up the road..Or not- then I have to run home and it is stinking 95 degrees.
I could Ride my bike...Crap, Austin broke my bike.
I could Ride my neighbors bike..Perfect....
 
It only works if you work it!
 I came out of the gym and someone sees my bike outside and chuckling says " Nice bike, thats Ghetto."
My response was simple. It does not matter what it looks like, It does the job, I have a beautiful bike at home that looks good but can't get the job done!"
Things can look good but we should be careful to not place value on things that are aesthetically eye catching.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment