"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wrapping the week up- "Amanda Run" -Tapering

In 2 weeks we will be in Boston. WOWZA! This week running had come to its final eclipse. It was Over 50 miles in running. More than I have EVER done. And was able to do without pain. Now let me clarify pain.
There is still pain, I would be lying if I told you I could "Float like a Butterfly". There are always quirks and clicks, there are pops and side stitches. Those are the pains that couple running, not the ones that engage after the run. Sore muscles, lost toenails, and blisters...EVERY bit worth it!
"Pain is temporary quitting is forever"
 Tapering -I will start my taper this week. running about 35 miles this week. Tapering is the art of resting and repairing your body after months of training so as to be able to peak for an event. Professional athletes are masters of this.My  training formula from here on in will be minimal miles plus maximum rest will lead to maximum results. Year after year the #1 training tip as voted by the readers of Runner’s World is; Value Rest. 
Tapering can be broken into 3 segments as one of my coaches describes:
  • MAINTAINING YOUR BASE-giving your body a couple of weeks of only mild activity it will have time to rebuild itself to peak condition. In the meantime that mild activity will maintain your capacity for absorbing oxygen (max VO2 intake). 
  • RECOVERY- Do not participate in any activities that can result in injury! Avoid exercise that could break down any large muscular groups.Try to get some extra deep sleep. Our body is at its healing best when you are in deep sleep (the type of deep sleep where you dream). Naps are earned!      Think maximum rest = Maximum Recovery = Maximum results 
  • PROPER NUTRITION- Nutrients are the vitamins, minerals and phytochemicles (anti-oxidants) that help your body function and heal. By following best nutritional practices We will be giving our body everything that it needs to rebuild itself into peak condition. Proper carbohydrate loading is important these next couple weeks. "Nutritionally Dense Foods". Remembering the more intense our exercise is the more free radical damage we are experiencing it is very important to eat excessive amounts of fruits and vegetables, ( I load up on my Juice Plus)
Co-workers, Amanda is far left. Megan and her brother on my right

I was encouraged by one of my coworkers yesterday. I went into work yesterday after that long run with a empty tank. My body was tired and my energy just depleted. I was so wiped out I felt sick. "Amanda" was asking why I was so tired. As I shyly told her about my run I realized with a bit of unidentified excitement that I had ran 48 miles. She must have saw the twinkle in my eye. "Amanda" then replied, "Its only 2 miles, just blow it out, just go all out and get it done"  So stimulated by her encouragement, I headed to the gym after work on Saturday to finish out the week with over 50miles  and did an "Amanda RUN".

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment