"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How to start Running..my Two reasons..Part1

I get asked all the time, "How did you get into running." Well there were a couple reasons:
REASON 1- After my second baby I had horrible postpartum.
I was crying all the time. I had a dear cousin stay a month with me in the summer of the birth of my youngest. "Kristin" would see me crying and say " Alright let's go" and off we would go for a walk. Or a walk/run. I am so thankful to "Kristin" for her patience with me. The imbalance of hormones completely debilitates you. It is like you can hear Cher yelling "SNAP OUT OF IT" but nothing shakes the sadness from you.
2010 Kristin and I, such a beautiful bride.

How Exercise can help ease depression
  1. Releases "feel good brain chemicals" such as endorphins that can ease depression
  2. Reduces immune system chemicals that can worsen depression
  3. Helps us learn how to cope in a healthy way
  4. When running outside we are receiving more Vitamin D which has been shown to help prevent depression.
REASON 2- Running has a very flexible schedule!
As the children got older our lives shifted. There were areas in our schedules that got easier and areas that got more difficult. Gym time got much more difficult. My husband moved to a first shift position and I lost my date with "Gym"! My mother in law gave me her old treadmill and I had no excuses for not getting a work out in. When you are used to working out you do not get to choosy about how you are going to get your sweat on. And your family are quite encouraging as they have noticed what a BEAR you are when you don't.

 Starting to Run

1.Believe in Yourself! "I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me"
My husband and I would watch "biggest loser" and I would hear myself yelling "good job" with tears streaming down my face. Here this woman or man was against the odds with excess weight meeting these challenges. Fighting against the pain, and believing wholeheartedly they were going all the way and many of them did.
2. Set a Goal-"My philosophy of life is that if we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose – somehow we win out" Do you want to run a 5k or a race this summer? Do you want to loose weight? Is there a vacation that you want to go to that requires physical activity? Do you have health issues you want to get under control?
3. Create a plan-"All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination" Create a plan that you can FOLLOW! Try not to give yourself unrealistic goals. If you know that you can only work out 3 days a week but maybe 4, make your plan 3 days and anything extra is a bonus! We tend to want to throw in the towel as soon as we fall short. So rather than setting our self up for failure create a realistic regimen. 
Remember those things that inspire you. Whether it is a person, a quote or an  idea. inspiration is internal motivation. Believe in yourself, Make yourself worth it. Try not to let past failures, negativity or obstacles stand in your way, I always tell myself, I AM MY BIGGEST OBSTACLE..GET OVER YOURSELF, ANITA AND JUST DO IT!


Tomorrow "Getting Started"
Anita


 

No comments:

Post a Comment