10 Simple Reminders while you are Training for your Marathon
"I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your legs, and the last part with your heart."
I have several tips that I juggle through when I am training for a marathon. These are my Top 10.
- Set 3 goals for your finishing time for your marathon:1. Beyond your wildest dreams 2. Dream come true 3. Grateful goal.
- Find a training partner: Accountability, Encouragement and Motivation.
- Prepare and Recover Properly: dynamic stretching, static stretching, rolling and icing
- You are what you EAT!: Eating the right foods at the right time. 65% of your total calories should come from carbohydrates, 10% protein, 20-25% unsaturated fat. EAT whole foods. Keep it clean!
- Drink Alcohol in Moderation: Remember alcohol dehydrates you.
- No Pain No Gain: Remember to pick up the intensity, Hills, Repeats, Tempo runs, these help not just physically but also Mental Strength, YOU are going to need!
- Rest Days are part of training: Allow your body to recover and heal.
- Core, Core and More CORE. The core is what powers you, keep it strong.
- Listen to your body. You should treat your body like a machine. If it tells you it is hurting, take care of it. If it tells you it is tired, take a nap. Listen.
- HAVE FUN! Laugh, buy some fun gear, go on some different routes, just have fun!
- This morning I was seriously dragging. I got out of bed at 6am and after dropping the kids off I crawled unto my neatly made bed. I grabbed a throw and fell back to sleep for another hour and a half. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY
- I woke up wanting to do some recovery miles from yesterday horrible mishap. Even though my body wasn't sore I didn't want to press my luck. LACEY left a message that she would be at the track. I got it together and headed that way. TRAINING PARTNER
- We did some repeats. Only after a couple 200's and 1 400 I knew my body wasn't participating. HOWEVER, I continued running them and TIMED LACEY. When she finished I put a bug in her ear.."Lacey, you were on target with all of those, I want you to consider trying to qualify for Boston for your marathon." Set a GOAL
- I started my run off this morning rolling my IT Band. I finished my run stretching and with a power smoothie because my belly cant handle solid foods right away. I also double up on my Juice Plus and hydrate. PREPARE AND RECOVER PROPERLY
These are just a few of my reminders that help me train better and get the most out of my training and my Marathon.
What tips do YOU HAVE?