"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Turning our Disadvantages into Advantages


 "Endure and Persist: This Pain with turn to good, bye and bye." -Ovid


 
D is for Danielle, Detroit, Disadvantages

I am just getting home from a weekend at camp with over 70 high school-ers, middle school-ers and leaders.
Secretly, I am more like 15 than I am like 41.
When I get around a bunch of kids I get all weird and giddy. When the music from the band plays I find myself jumping and fist pumping. I look at Noble on the drums with the biggest grin you could find and I know he is in his element, as I am with all these incredible kids.
But I am tired. I am sore. I am overwhelmed with heartache for this generation. I know their struggles, their disadvantages and the courage and strength it is going to take for them to have Victory in their lives.

Our theme for the weekend was something like making our disadvantage's into our advantages.
I hacked that a bit.

When it comes to running, most of can relate. We have disadvantages like:
  • We are over weight
  • We don't know where to start
  • We are injury prone
  • We cant find the time
  • It hurts
We have all have our share of disadvantages. I could write the book. I am more empowered by my weaknesses. It is challenging.
I look at the ugly places I have been. I chew for a brief second on the emotions of regret, disgust, disgrace or disappointment.  Without swallowing it, I swish it around and spit it out. I taste it enough to remind myself how that is NOT what I want to feed on. I have to. Except, I have to taste it, to remind myself how much work I have to do so I don't settle for those elements.

Know your disadvantages. Don't deny them, hide them or be embarrassed of them. Be better than them, overcome them, challenge them, allowing them to take you to great and mighty places.
Getting white washed for the first time...

Running today, paved several disadvantages. Staying home and recovering would have been just fine. My body felt like it went through a meat grinder. I am so sore. I played in the snow, went sledding in tubes, got thrown in snow piles, I was ganged up on and white washed, stayed up until 2 am, all to be reminded I am getting to old.
Being out of my routine makes my body shut down a bit....Shy Bowel! In case your wondering.
Laundry, cleaning, organizing and back to drama and life.
RUN..RUN..No time to swallow those disadvantages.
Found a BUCK!

No excuses. I met Lacey for some warm miles. 34 degrees out there.  As much as my body didn't want to go, it also was begging for me to lace up and turn em'over.

RUNDOWN
Distance: 5 miles. Wet, slushy, and icy. I Found a DOLLAR!

I have had all of the disadvantages required for success.
- Larry Ellison
Anita

4 comments:

  1. Aww, thx for the mention! I have missed our runs, crazy weather! I admire you for many reasons, but the work you and Andy do with the youth is by far one of the top ones! You are awesome:-) "D"edicated..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your ears could ring! You would hear lots of shout outs! Love you!!

      Delete
  2. You got paid to run today. I think that qualifies you as a professional runner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, You are hilarious, never quite thought of it that way..I am not a fan of running out there in the streets with no shoulders and 2 inches of slush..The dollar put a smile on my face, It doesn't take much! LOL

      Delete