"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Dangers of being a Runner.


The Letter "J"
Jesus, January, Jama     

  Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'" Matthew 22:37  

January- short days, cold, dreary and time to look into the training plan. Play time is over.
 
Jama- Met Jama almost 2 years ago from the running club that I coached. I use that term loosely. More like, encouraged, motivated, challenged and shared my experience.

 


"Anita, don't you run outside... Do you run in the dark?" Sandra asked me as I walked into church. She had one of those looks that you are not sure if you are in trouble or not.
"AHH..Yeah..." I replied with hesitation.
With a concerned look on her face, she gives me the details of 2 occasions this week she almost hit a runner.  Each time was different in details but the same in emotion: paralyzing fear.
  • First incident, the runner had reflectors, a blinking light and was running towards traffic.
  • Second incident, the runner only had reflectors on the back of the pants, was running WITH traffic and no lights.
  • Both runners were wearing black.
Here was the big issue with BOTH. Sandra was BLINDED by the oncoming traffic lights which prevented her from seeing the runners both times. Their black outfits meshed into the dark back roads.

Both runners ended up in the snow banks on the back roads. Crippled with sudden panic she stopped the car to let the runners go.

My THOUGHTS:
I know when I lace my shoes up, hit start on my Garmin and point my feet down the road, that it could be my last time. Maybe that's why I pray so much!
I have almost been hit so many times I quit counting. I have watched accidents happen feet next to me, I have had to stay to take a police report from an accident that should have killed me. I have watched my life before my eyes, as I have crumbled to the ground in terror of almost being hit. I have had people deliberately scare me, people throw things out their windows at me, people follow me, scream at me and people never even see me. I once had a woman pull out of her apartments without looking.  I was in front of her vehicle and she pushed me unto Dixie Hwy. I pounded and pounded on her hood. The lady then in horror began to scream at ME. I shook my finger at her "Ma'am, YOU were NOT LOOKING." She pulled in front of me and apologized.

Runners every year die.
It doesn't mean that runners are careless or irresponsible.

However, as a runner speaking to Sandra was another reminder we need to take extra precautions.

When RUNNING in the DARK:
  • Run into oncoming traffic, this helps you to respond quicker when you see what's coming at you.
  • Wear a head lamp or carry some type of light.
  • Wear reflectors, reflector vest ect.
  • Save black clothing for the daylight
  • Don't wear headphones
  • Remember, what is obvious to you isn't as obvious to others.
The Rundown:
Distance: 6 miles
Great day for a outside run. I was in my glory! It must have been "Wave at a runner" day today. I had so many people wave at me.  On my way back home, a black Lincoln was stopped waiting for me. I knew that big smile a mile away, Michelle E. Chatting with her was interrupted when we realized we had blocked the driveway to a local business. I smiled all the way home. It was hard not to, it was so stunning out.

Anyone else starting their marathon training this week??
What your long run??

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment