"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ultra training mishaps and mindsets.

Today was my 20 mile long run which is followed by another 20 long run tomorrow.  Yup, that is 40 miles of leg work in 2 days.

In my experience over the last few weeks of my training I have noticed the slower I take my first long run the more tolerable my 2nd long run is.
It took me a few weeks to figure this out. The one thing that I still have a hard time with is sleeping. I really struggle sleeping after my long runs. My legs are restless and sore. They are almost foreign to my body. My legs feel like they are enemies of my body.

Today Andy and I ran a 10 m/m with walk breaks every 5 minutes. This helps keep the pace down, take a drink, stretch and grasp a minute of sanity.

I am not sure if it is from having kids, being almost 40 years old or just the dynamics of the female body that makes me have to go to the bathroom to the point of peeing my pants.
But at mile 6 I had reached the point of no control. I was looking in every grass field for the perfect bathroom. Andy was making fun of me. "Anita, I can not watch you in the weeds. I see you as a woman not like that, that is disgusting." Laughing I kept looking and then found a little spot. But just as I was finishing Andy yells "A CAR IS COMING!" in a panic on the side of the road I could not move fast enough. I frantically start grabbing the tall grass to cover myself up and tip over on my side in squatting position. All I could do was laugh. Andy tried to stand there just a couple feet from the road to cover me up. "Anita, that is so revolting." All I could do was laugh.  I have recently been told that if I got caught peeing in the bushes it would put me on the Sex Offenders List. Can someone confirm if that is true or not??

I finished 19 miles with Andy and still had 1 more mile to go. Andy started to have a hard time about mile 14. He knew that his mind was playing tricks on him.. He asked how I do it in my head. "I know I have to do this again tomorrow so I can not allow myself to get defeated today." And after 19 I dropped him off and headed back out for another mile to make 20.
I took it easy and came home to hit the gyms cold plunge.
20 minutes in the cold plunge.
10 minutes in the hot tub.
Noosa yogurt and chocolate milk to recover.
Subways for dinner, 6 inch buffalo chicken sub.
A bed time protein smoothie and extra water.
And back at it tomorrow!


Anita

4 comments:

  1. This must have been one of those "you had to be there" moments, because I am not getting the exchange between your husband and you.
    Anyway, I leak urine pretty bad during the summer. I blame it on the 6 kids!!!
    I've just learned to wear black and live with it!
    And-unless you are peeing in the bushes outside a school window, I'm pretty certain you are safe from prosecution ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flaming June, 6 kids, that is incredible. I am so inspired by that! They way I see it if you are out there running after delivering 6 babies you are pretty lucky that you lucky that you are leaking a little urine and not the whole bladder! The hot months do the same to me. I think the heat puts our bodies in more of a stress mode.

    LOL. I can not even imagine if I got in trouble for peeing in the woods. Especially because it happens at this point more often that not on my runs!

    My husband is a little bit of a prude. That is said in love! He is far from a camper therefore seeing me in that barbaric squat freaks him out. But Oh Well. I think it would freak him out more if I peed my paints! And because he is such a prude makes me think it is even more hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have proof read that before I posted it! OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.. I get it now (lol!)
    My husband is the one most likely to "squat in the woods" on our runs! In fact, our routes are always planned to include public restrooms or "private" woods! I hate getting stuck in a residential area for miles on end!

    ReplyDelete