"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Leave em' on the Pavement:



"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:9 

I woke up to a sunny day. A good day by most standards for a run.
I saw Andy off for work and grabbed my cup of coffee to sit down and have a few minutes of quite time. By the time I got ready to run  something implanted itself in my head that was bugging me. I figured I would go out for 10 miles, I knew that would dispose of the mental mess circulating in my head.

I felt pretty good. The first few miles were composed of little aches and pains scattered about but nothing I was concerned about. And by mile 4 I traded in all those little aches and pains for sweat and exhaustion. So many times in that 10 miles I tried to convince myself to slow down, stop and get a drink or even not go as hard up the hills. But for every voice that tried to get me to not give 100% there were 5 more voices SCREAMING at me to Not Quit, GO GO Go!

The Crim is in 3 weeks. I have not trained for it other that putting in miles. Not very much speed work. Not a good thing. This year I made it the year of "Fun Run" and I really stuck to it. Houston we are gonna have a problem!!

Running Tip:
LESS is MORE when you want to increase your speed. It is not about quantity it is about quality.
You have to run hard. You have to make a date with pain.
If you want results you have to get serious and seriously mean it. 3 or 4 miles hard will make more of a difference than 7 or eight miles at conversational pace. 
As you set your foot unto the pavement you have to say to yourself  "This is gonna hurt". And YOU have to run NOT to PAIN rather THROUGH PAIN!
Embrace it like the love of your life.
You have to convince your body and your mind that your NOT afraid to overcome the work that it is going to take to make you victorious.
Believe in YOURSELF.
Believe in your abilities.
See yourself where you want to be and then Go For It!

As I ran across the road towards home I no longer remembered what had irritated me. I didn't even care. None of it mattered. What matted was I ran hard, I ran through pain, I was out of breathe, my legs were weak, and my head was light. Compiled together this meant EVERYTHING. This was my trophy for a job well done. 

RUNDOWN:
Time:1:20
Distance:10.01
Pace:7:56

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
- Newt Gingrich
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment