"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Post Marathon~ When honesty gets RAW~

16 weeks are gone, Bayshore is soo yesterday. While I still rest on the skirt tails of my personal victory it too has passed. The beauty of achieving something that has been so much work and is worth so much to us is that it supplies you with lasting gratitude and appreciation. Great achievement carries so much weight and it holds so much value. 

The harder the work, effort and ability to reach our victory combined with the amount of heart we invest in it defines our response to it. 
Emotionally my cup runneth over.
Physically I am on the mends. 
Muscle soreness
The soreness depends on the individual, his state of training and the activity. The most likely causes after a marathon are depletion of energy reserves and the accumulation of fluid in the muscles.

You can relieve soreness by icing, massage, light activity and slow gentle stretching. This helps increase circulation through body which also gets things moving! Drinking fluids will help flush the waste products from the body. After the marathon I doubled up on my Juice Plus to promote healing.
My quads are still sore..Oh steps How I HATE YOU.
I know tomorrow I am going to have to get out there and run and loosen up. Any exercise will promote circulation and aid healing and recovery for my poor body.
POST RACE: light and easy exercise...I have yet to do any..I did walk with "Kelli" Tuesday at work about 1 mile.
 
Other Post Race Recovery Tips
  • Ice baths
  • Massage
  • Aspirin
  • Compression garments
  • Foam Rolling!! 
There are guidelines to when you should run after a marathon. Andy is currently upset with me because I am registered for a half marathon on Sunday. This means I am NOT following the guidelines. These are not designed as the only mold for every runner. It is a personal preference but here they are:
 1-day-for-every-mile you race to get back to normal. 
I would say, on the whole, this is true but more for a beginner runner. Certain parts of the body/mind recover faster than others. 
It also depends on the course and conditions—courses with a lot of camber and downhill can beat you up far worse than those that are gently rolling or flat. Also the temperature of  marathons is another element to recovery. I recover better in hot weather than cold or rainy weather. 


Well I really want to see my Thursday girls tomorrow. So I am going to attempt to run tomorrow. I am going to ask if we can run/walk. 
"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all." 1 Thes 5:14
I wanted to say PERSONAL THANK YOU'S to those who took a minute to say anything encouraging. 
THANK you DANIELLE, KATIE, 
Those who sent encouragement on my FACEBOOK: Sara M, Melissa H, Lisa H, Deb B,AuntLo, Mom, Rachael P, Kay G,Linda H, Meisha M, and the others out there. 
And those on Daily Mile: Rebecca, Fritz, Zachy, Scott, Lori, and the many many others.


WHO Have you Encouraged today?? If you struggle encouraging others I challenge you to ASK YOURSELF WHY?? What keeps you in the shadows of someones victory? What prevents you from edifying someone? 
I am an Encourage. And encouragement to me is like fuel. It is so energizing. I respect and love people for being able to to it. 
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." 1 Thess 5:11
"Kerry W" said it best to me on Tuesday after the marathon. Kerri ran the Bayshore also. She saw me chatting it up laughing and having a good ole time with some guy... turns out that was"Jay"!! She was so mad at me for laughing when she was feeling her IT band flaring up. She was happy for me but she was mad at me. She was so honest. She wanted to be encouraging but in her pain she was mad at me. She wanted to feel good, she wanted to laugh, she wanted what she didn't have. She was so raw at first..but I thought what she said was so very honest and in so many ways how many of us feel about others. "Kerri" dropped out at mile 22. I was heart broken for her. She tearfully walked off the course humbled and crushed.  I appreciated her honesty..It took a lot of COURAGE to be so honest. 
Have you Encouraged someone today?? If not WHY Not??? You could be someones GIFT...Give it. 
Anita
"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works," Hebrew 10:24
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment