"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

10 Mile Ramblings:Addiction

 
Addiction is not the same thing as Passion!
I am passionate about my relationship with Jesus Christ, family and my boys.
I am passionate about my Running but I am also passionate about Addiction! Yes, Drugs and Alcohol.

Are you confused? I have a very special place in my heart for those who struggle with addiction and also the family members that are entwined in the chaos of of addiction.

ADDICTION. Misunderstood, judged, enabled, and Very Very alive in many of our lives.

What Addiction is: Addiction Lies, Addiction Steals, Addiction Cheats, Beats and Deceives. It Hurts Everyone, it Hijacks the healthy Brain and Sabotages the Family Unit.
Addiction Manipulates, turns the Family against itself and confuses the most stable person.
Addiction drains accounts, shows up late, doesnt show up at all, it pukes, it throws up and it loses jobs.
ADDICTION SUCKS!

ADDICTION is not Prejudice. It loves all colors, all races, all genders, all religions, all professions, and all ages.

I have had the unfortunate opportunity of watching Addiction turn beautiful people ugly, family members abusive and Addiction kill it host.

"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

As I ran today I thought about Addiction. I have been the daughter, the grand daughter, the niece, the cousin and the wife and there have been moments when I think I am the sister.
I Choose NOT to Drink, Smoke or use Drugs and many people ask why. They just do not understand.."not even a glass of wine?" I have been down that road before...
You can't dance with the Devil and think you are going to win. The best way to not get enticed it not to take ANY invitation.
I know why I choose NOT to...Ask yourself why you choose to...especially when you have Addiction running through YOUR family!!
1 in 3 people have Addiction in their families...
"If you can't Beat em Join em" THAT is not gonna work out so good for you.
I have Freedom. I have control. (most of the time!)
Yes..I also have PAIN. Real hurts, real disappointments, real emotions. It is called living Life on Lifes Terms.
I am no different than the rest of you. I choose to FEEL no matter how painful it is. I am so thankful for Gods Grace that he saved me from Addiction that has destroyed my family. And thankful God softened my heart to love and forgive those who are struggling.
But my heart is always so heavy for those hurting.
I have many runs I have saturated the pavement with tears, I have ran with anger so deep my hands are clenched for miles. There are runs I can not even think clearly because life has disappointed me, hurt me, judged me, lied to me, deceived me and the list goes on. But we keep going. keep moving FORWARD. The only way to get through it is to get THOUGH IT!

"Training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age.."Titus 2:12

I am not bitter anymore. I am not controlled by my emotions the way I once was. I work harder at maintaining healthy boundaries and learning to forgive people. Forgiving does not mean FORGETTING. It just means I let the hurt someone placed on me go.

Tonight I will go to BRIGHTON. I will go support a dear friend who is struggling with a family member. Together we will be surrounded around other family members who have a loved one struggling with addiction. We will get support, advice encouragement and hope from the experience of others. I love it. I learn so much and take it back to help me be a better facilitator for the meeting I do on Thursdays.

"Bear Ye one anothers burdens and so fulfill the Law of Christ" Gal 6:2

Do you have a Family Member that is in active addiction?
Do you feel like this is "Speaking" to you?
Are you recognizing alot of this yet making excuses?
Denial is NOT a river in Egypt. It doesn't just get better.
Get honest. Have Courage. You Are Not Alone....

The Rundown:
Distance: 10:25
Pace: 8:01
Time: 1:22
Ran the back roads and did hills. Today was the perfect day out. I missed the rain and the time flew by. My mind working on turbo speed..faster than my legs!

ANITA





2 comments:

  1. You are truly awesome. A great person, a superb runner, and so motivating in so many aspects of life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, Thank you. You are too kind :)

    ReplyDelete