"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

"No Wimps"..50k Recap


No Wimps, Trail Weekend.
Saturday:
I had signed up for this months ago. That means for months I have looked forward to it.
Even though my health has given me a couple sucker punches I was NOT throwing the towel in.

I knew I had to run smart. Again, not pushing myself. I can not afford to over tax my body right now.
Saturdays half marathon was a BLAST. We finished it with a big group, we were having so much fun that runners kept joining us.
Because I was running the following day Sunday we made Saturday our "Fun Run".


SUNDAY: 50K
Sunday morning was a mirror image of Saturday. Blue skies bursting at the seams.
I was a HOT MESS. I had forgotten my bib at home. Typical Anita. With less than 30 minutes I had to get to the registration table, get my bib fixed, make sure my name was correct (They had me under Andy for both the races) and I had to pee before the 7:30 bell whistled.
I DIDN'T make it!
I was still in line for peeing when the first and second wave took off.

I did make it in for the 3rd wave smiling and not too frazzled.

I really didn't have a plan. I was using the information Claudia gave me from her experience. After running the half marathon the day before I was familiar with the trail. The trail is not the yellow brick road for sure.
The Potawatomi trail is as beautiful as it is as difficult. It has a lot of climbing, several bridges and hugs the river, winding through the woods. It is breathtaking.
I planned to run conservatively. I wanted to run at least one loop with Claudia. I was looking forward to her company.
I was hoping for a 6 hour 50K. That would be running about 1 hour every 5 miles.
I just knew I couldn't push myself. 

THE FIRST LOOP:

The energy was not as high as it was for the half marathon the day before. I was still in good spirits and very excited but more focused.
"Cupless" We had to bring our own vessels. 

Claudia took the lead and I tucked in behind her. We ran a very steady pace. Because we were in the third wave we really didn't have a lot of people clustering around us.
We were looking forward to seeing Rachel. Rachel was volunteering at the aide station at mile 4 and 17.
Claudia and I

At mile 4, I started yelling "MARCO"  through the trails listening for her. It took a couple times then we heard "POLO"!
Rachel was holding a jug to fill our containers. The race was "Cupless", you had to bring your own vessel. I of course made the joke, I know all about "Cupless"!
We exchanged some laughter, I removed a layer, grabbed an orange slice and off we went.
The clock doesn't stop.

The last mile of the first loop is BRUTAL. The hills are massive, topped with roots and rocks. You can hear the crowd as you come out of the woods and head past the start/finish area.
Back out you go for loop 2.

THE SECOND LOOP:
Claudia and I were still keeping a steady pace. We ran into STU, another runner friend of ours. We ran a couple miles with him, he was aiming for a 6 hour 50K as well and doing the same strategy, 5 miles an hour.
Claudia had me take the lead this loop.
I had really wanted to FACETIME my brother while I was running. My brother had been out in Colorado this past week and had FaceTime me while hiking "The Arches".  I know it seems ridiculous to FaceTime someone while running a race, but my brother is one of my biggest fans and I knew he would like that as much as I would.
While we were chatting and laughing Claudia jumped in front and took the lead. She picked up the pace a bit so I quickly said my goodbyes and got my head back in the game. Claudia had put her music in her ears and whenever she does that she drops a gear.
I tucked in behind her and just let her do her thing.
After a few miles, she asked me to take the lead back.
We came back into the Rachels aide station, this time I dropped a lot of clothes. everything but my sports bra and vest, I was so hot.
Rachel and I
Again, I grabbed another orange and a PBJ square. We hightailed it out of there.

I would ask Claudia how we were doing but she couldn't hear me. I knew she was still with me because I could hear her. At mile 20, we were still on pace and doing great.

But somewhere between mile 21-23 I lost her. I was feeling good and had started to pick up the pace a little bit.
The cool temps and blue skies allowed me to run good. I started passing runners.
Every runner I passed I said "Good Job, your doing great" or something along those lines.

As I finished up the tail end of the last loop, the hills felt a lot more painful. My ankle was beginning to ache and I had to be more cautious of how I was landing my feet. The inside of my knee on the downhills actually felt like it was pulling a bit.

When I ran past the finish line for my 2nd loop I still had another 5 miles. I also had no idea where I was going!
I ran right by the aid station without grabbing anything in my confusion. You have to run across the parking lot towards a different trail head. It was here by a fluke I saw Rachel and Matt. Matt had finished the race and Rachel was all done volunteering. They both just happened to be there and hear me yelling for directions!
They confirmed I was going in the right direction and I quickly gave high fives and bolted towards the trail.
Between mile 27-30 it was flat and not technical at all. I was able to pick up my pace. I found myself passing several runners through this section. This is like fuel.

So many thoughts ran through my mind that last mile. I wished it was never going to end. I didn't want it to end because I knew it was really going to be THE END for a long time.
This race was going to be my "Last Hoorah".
My health was going to have to take the reigns over everything this summer. That meant many races planned and paid for were probably NOT going to happen.
So I smiled more, I took in every moment of this 50K. I embraced it with full gratitude. I felt my emotions welling up as I ran that mile. I wiped the tears down my cheeks with love, Thanking God for every mile, every breath and every victory.

The Finish: 
I came out of the woods now for the 3rd time. This time I got to actually run through the chute. I picked up the pace, smiled and gave it my last wind.
Finishing I had to give my bib number to a volunteer documenting each runner and time. I discovered I was 1st in my age group! I got aa MUG!
Time: 5h 52min.

You can allow your circumstance to dictate your actions or you can Overcome them with Strength, Positivity, and Gratitude. 
I choose to Own My Todays. 
I choose to do the BEST I can with each day I am given. 

Anita~
My Bling!

No comments:

Post a Comment