"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, May 20, 2019

Just Another Marathon: T minus 2 days

This is the motivational Mantra my mother in law displays. It has become our family Mantra in this Journey. Thank You Dr. Daniel Sullivan. 


I am 12 days out from my first chemo treatment.
The first 4 days was blur.
In 2 days, I am going back into the battle. It is accumulative. I describe this best;  if you are playing on a football field, the same field, after each game the field doesn't get much recovery before you go back out about for another round.
I have felt great the last week. Today, I was more tired than I have been. I try very hard to lay down and rest if only for a half an hour.

It has been said that you will loose your hair 17-18 days after your first round of A/C. About 2 days after your 2nd treatment.
I have been preparing myself for losing my hair. Last week, my high school girlfriend Holly and her mother gave me a beautiful gift of head wraps. I am not going to wear wigs.

 Its summer, I have itch issues and it is what it is. But as I opened them I couldn't stop crying. It became so real. I am going to loose every stitch of the hair on my head. Chemotherapy attacks not only the diseased cells, but all cells.  In particular, those cells that reproduce quickly are affected (skin, hair, nails, GI tract etc.).  This particular regimen I am taking is very unforgiving on hair follicles.  It is 100% that I will lose my hair. (Sorry Lacey)
Everywhere I go people will know I have CANCER. I couldn't quit crying at the reality of it. The wraps were wonderful, I felt prepared and it gave me comfort.

  • your going to possibly get thrush
  • your skins going to dry out
  • your finger tips are going to be very sensitive
  • your going to get constipated or get chemo mudd (you can figure that out!)
  • you will get headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue
  • you can not be in the sun
Oh the beautiful gifts I have been given to prepare me for this journey.
My sister sent me a huge "Cancer care package". She spent 2 hours hand picking each item from soft bamboo pajamas to snuggly pillows and creams.

Alecs girlfriend and mother game me a gift package that was so thoughtful with teas and magazines and thoughtful gifts for my treatments.

My family all came together with a care package like NO other, blessing me with shirts for my port, gum, ginger candies for nausea, snacks, cancer planner and so much more. 
I have been soo blessed.

Today, I got a gift that was personal and fun! Angie W. mailed me a surprise care package from Warren mi. Her and I worked with the youth a few years ago. It was a total shock. She shared some words with me I had no idea of. You never know who is watching you. 


As I prepare for the next battle, today I got a call from my Genetic testing. They were calling to talk about the bill.
Come to find out that little test to find out of if I am BRACHA1 is 800$. I was so grateful that they have a very generous assistance program. The program brought it down to 100$!

Wednesday morning, I have to be there early to talk to the onchologist before my 10am treatment. 
I am excited to meet with him. I plan to show him my running for the last 10 days. I will get my bloodwork done again, keep me in prayers. 
Prayers are the greatest gift we can give one another. I am beyond thankful for those gifts. 


RUNDOWN
Distance: 10 miles
Pace: 9.25min/mi
I met Lacey early with excitement to run some distance. Lacey is really good at making me walk and keeping me from getting to footloose and fancy. We did walk breaks every mile reminding me to drink as well. 
On our last tenth of a mile I heard something, it was my brother, he was Facetiming me and I must have answered it. Lacey and I had some fun laughter chatting with me brother. Lacey was arguing that I DON'T know for sure I am going to loose my hair. (She is in still in denial) My brother started to choke up and Lacey went in for the rescue making jokes. "You better get out here and get some pictures together, you look good bald, so Anita will too." 
It was fun. Laughter is fun. 
After running, Lacey signed me up with a fallen soldier that I will honor this Memorial Day. Wear Blue to Remember. 
We also signed up for Hartlands Memorial Day 10k. 
I won't be racing it, but I will be having fun running it!

“Cancer opens many doors. One of the most important is your heart.” – Greg Anderson
(And I would like to add, the heart of others)


Anita~



No comments:

Post a Comment