"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

When the bed is holding you hostage.

5am, I curled up tighter in the covers. 6am I argued with myself to get up, only to find myself turn over, reposition the body pillow and return to the back of my eye lids. My body was lethargic. My mind fell asleep with many interruptions from guilt trying to get me out of bed. The bed was holding me hostage, only I was a willing victim.

7am and the last one in bed, even Austin my 16 year old already left to work out. Tripping over my sloppy legs I made my way to the dresser.
I didn't even lay my clothes out, my brain was barely firing.

Some days, we just want to crawl back under the sheets. Our bed is warm, our body is tired and we have earned it.
There are just not enough hours in the day.
Not enough cool temperatures in the day.
Not enough days in Summer.

I wish I could say I felt better after I stretched and rolled. I wish I could say I was refreshed after a recovery day. I wish I could say I felt like I was foot loose and fancy.

But the hard reality was it SUCKED. My pace felt WAY slower than it was. I might as well  have been running in sludge as slow as I was. I was sweating after a measly mile. Because I was running solo I didn't even bother to put deodorant on. "Great, sweaty and stinky" I thought.

I waited for that "Sweet spot" where your body catches up with your mind and you feel like a ROCKSTAR. That experience totally escaped me. With sweat drenching my shirt, I decided to drop it off in hopes that I would be cooler and maybe feel better.

I couldn't stomach the thought of running 8 miles and seeing my depressing pace. 8 miles of hard effort only for a mediocre result. Ugh, that's a blow, I should have just stayed in bed.

Last minute brain fart: After 3 pathetic miles, I turned into a sub.
HILLS!

I did 2 miles of Hill repeats. The sun was resting perfect to give me a running partner, my shadow.
I was having fun checking my body out going up the hill. My arms were pumping like a sprinter, my knees were coming up, and my posture was poised. From my angle, I was looking good! It gave me accountability being able to see myself. To add a little more dynamics, I began to chant "Go, get up, get up, go!"

Heading back home, I was a little insecure. It wasn't enough to be half naked, I was completely drenched in sweat. I had tore my hair out of the pretty pony tail and gave myself a knotty Buddha bun on the top of my head. Sweat still managed to drip off my neck and hairline.

2 miles from home, I saw Austin on my bike coming back from the gym.
I really wanted to walk home, my legs were torqued. But I found myself trying to catch up to him.
I lost site of him. I thought "Maybe I will just walk now, I am almost home."
Right after that thought, Austin pops out of a side road. I sped up the 30 feet to catch him.
It was a great half a mile home. He hung out next to me, gave me some water and a little company!

WHAT IF I SLEPT IN? WHAT IF I DIDNT GO RUNNING?
It was such a great run. My average pace with hill repeats and walk breaks: 9:09/m. I was pretty stoked. 8 miles of no regrets.

What do YOU TELL YOURSELF TO GET OUT OF BED???

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment