“Some seek the comfort of their therapist's office, other head to the corner pub and dive into a pint, but I chose running as my therapy.”
― Dean Karnazes,
― Dean Karnazes,
8 weeks outside of running Bayshore Marathon.
10 weeks out from running Woodstock 50m.
I am BEHIND the gun. I kept going back and forth on running, a lot of time was wasted along with a lot of miles.
Play time is OVER.
Last weeks long run was 15 miles. It might seem like a lot but it is not enough.
HOW DO YOU RAMP UP YOUR MILES AND NOT GET INJURED?
For ME, this was my thinking/plan:
- History Check: Revisit my 8 weeks of running including the results of my marathon.
- Injury Check: access my body and be honest with myself about any injuries. Not a time to pretend like your good when your training for a 50 miler. You better be GOOD or your going to be really BAD!
- Take the Leap! After accessing my history, my body and my training I came to a number: 5 miles. I jumped from last weeks 15 miles to 20 miles for today.
- Choose a safe route. Flat and easy.
- Run Smart: Easy does it. I ran INTERVALS with a slow to moderate pace.
- Be prepared: I drank plenty of fluids, brought nutrition and a good attitude!
- Recovery: Training doesn't stop when you turn your Garmin off. I have been drinking water, I had a Juice Plus Complete smoothie with Greek yogurt for extra protein. Stretching and rolling to help my muscles recover.
What happens on a 20 mile run?
|Hokas took care of me today.|
- You enjoy the scenery, I saw deer, peacocks, turkey vultures and beautiful greenery everywhere.
- You pee in the fields.
- You check behind you at all times, creepers no creeping
- You stop to walk because you see black specks and suddenly get very dizzy.
- You look for places to get water, mile 5 McDonald's- I put my shirt back on before entering, I was very insecure of how bad I smelled. Mile 12, I went into Mitchell's nursery: however, it was CLOSED! I was OUT of H2o, the heat was sweltering me. I unlatched the gate and entered. "HELLOOOO" I shouted as I looked for a water spicket. I could only find the old pump that pumps from a well. I walked around but it was deserted, other than hanging plants and flowers everywhere. I pumped the handle and filled my water bottle. It was so refreshing. At Mile 17, I was out of water again. I saw a family cleaning up their garage sale. "MAAM, I am out running and miscalculated my water intake. May I ask you to refill my bottle of water?" Her hubby was very kind and said "Absolutely, I will get you some cold water, would you like some SCOTCH to go in it?" I replied, Thank You, but I for sure will never make it home then!"
- You drink that cold water like you are eating Mana from Heaven. I found myself actually laughing and talking out loud the water was so amazing.
- Turn off your music. I enjoyed listening to the music of nature.
- You wave, smile and say "HI" to people hoping their energy will give you more energy!
- You Thank God for your Safety, your Endurance, your Strength.
- You begin to believe "I Think this is REALLY going to HAPPEN!"
|This is the Vegetable facts, I take both veg and fruit.|
I WANT TO GIVE A BIG SHOUT OUT TO SARAH F. ON HER LONG RUN TONIGHT. SUPER PROUD OF HER.
Anyone else running an Ultra this Fall? I could use some TIPS!