"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Coaching Power Words




"Anita, you would be better off if I was dead."
"People don't know the REAL you, like I do."
"You don't have to Love me but you Had better Damn well Respect ME!"
"You Don't LOVE ME, You only LOVE YOURSELF."
"I am just going to kill myself, all you want is my money."

Proverbs 18:21
"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

These words haunt me over 20 years later. I can recall more words that my mother spoke into me with hurt than love.
There is no doubt that my mother loved me. I know this. Often hurting words come from a wounded heart. Matthew 12:34; Luke 6:45"…out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."

WORDS HURT. They are like daggers cutting straight to the flesh. They are like venom that poisons your heart and mind.
They say it takes 7 good things to trump 1 bad thing said to you.

I heard words at such a young age that would handicap me for life.

You don't just "GET OVER IT."
They are too painful to forget and  painful to remember.
The words leave scars that you try to cover up all your life.
They leave you with thoughts of
  • Being unloved
  • Being unworthy
  • Being discarded
  • Being disgraced
I could go on and on. I sat there amongst several adults this past Tuesday. This is Addiction Night, many were that had been broken from hurtful words. Words that they said or words that were said to them. Every Tuesday night I facilitate a group that have loved ones struggling with drugs, alcohol or other co-dependency issues.

The tears of empathy stream down my face as the gentleman describes the toxic words his 75 year old mother still spews at him.

I don't talk about it much. But I think about them often.

As runners we learn the Power Of Words. We learn that just a few words of negativity can sabotage a run before we get out the door. Running starts in our heads way before we lace up our shoes. Some of us never even get to lace up our shoes because the words were entertained too much.

Running Power Words:
  1. Persevere
  2. Believe
  3. Strength
  4. Faith
  5. Endure
  6. Victory
  7. Guts/Grit
  8. Persistence
  9. Dedication
  10. Persistence
Most runners I know are the most encouraging, edifying and motivational people I know. We learn the Power of Words. We speak to ourselves all day long. We coach ourselves with words. Words to get us out the door. Words to get us moving and keep us moving. Words to conquer defeat, words to destroy discouragement and words to lead us to victory.

I laced up my Hoka's and headed out the door to try and do 3 easy miles. Mile 2 was my best mile. I felt whole. As I approached my 3 I had a minor twinge. I was grateful that I was only a couple houses from home. No running for me for a couple days. I will see how I feel come Sunday. Thank You for the continued prayers. I feel so needy asking for them. I am very grateful for those who have been praying for me.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
“So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.”
My Challenge to you is to use those same words that as runners you are coaching yourself with, to coach someone else.
Speak the very words of life, love and encouragement into a loved one.


"Words have power. They work. That's why poetry can affect people. That's why music and lyrics and songs affect people, and that's why chants and prayers and affirmations and all those various things affect the frame of mind." Sammy Hagar




  Do you have words that have haunted you? Are you a good encourager, coaching  into others?



No comments:

Post a Comment