"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Coping without Running.

James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
 
It is hard for me to count it all joy every time I see another runner cross the street in front of me.
Today, Andy was running 12 miles. I was green with envy. I would never show my jealousy to Andy but then after 18 years of marriage I am sure he could tell.
It's not the malicious jealousy, the Tonya Harding kind. I wouldn't trip a runner or anything like that. It is more like the "That looks like so much fun." Kinda jealousy.
 
My niece Sarah and her boyfriend stopped over for a couple hours.
 
After they left I hopped on my new friend, my Schwinn to look for Andy.
 
I thought of Amy, my client while I went looking for him. She softly reminded me that it is good to be on the sidelines some times. Sometimes it is just as important to be a cheerleader. Andy needed me to be his cheerleader.
It didn't take me long to locate that lengthy body coming at me from downtown. Andy had 3 miles to go.
Andy was exhausted. He was soaked in sweat, out of breath and beginning to fall apart. "Come on Andy, pull you back up and run with your core." I spoke to him from behind on my bike. I was shocked to see him do as I said.
For the next 3 miles I encouraged him. "That's it Andy, Strong as an Ox." 
I wanted to share in the personal torture he was putting himself through. The weakened state of running on empty looked like absolute fun. The numbness in your fingertips, the cotton mouth from a hot summer day mixed with mental voices challenging you to go a little bit farther had me almost in tears with lust.
 Rather turn myself into the green eyed monster I continued trying to motivate Andy, "That's it Andy, Shake it OUT, Deep Breath, finish STRONG."
I was encouraged by Andy as I watched him follow my words. He would drop his arms down, shaking them out, inhale deeply and straighten back out.
 
ADVENTURES in Biking:
We have been looking for a house for over 6 months now. We want to stay close to the area we live in. If a house comes on the market I like to ride my bike to it. It seems more incognito. A new house came on the market this evening. I decided I would get a few more miles and check out the house.
I find myself giggling like a school kid as I get on my bike. Here I am a 40 year old woman all excited to ride my bike like a 14 year old. I love the warm summer air blowing against my skin as I jump the curbs. I pedal real fast and then lift my toosh and coast over cracks on the sidewalks.
As I came up to the railroad tracks I saw a police car coming to a stop in front of me. He caught my eyes and knew HE was BUSTED! I had a big ole grin on my face, laughing I  yelled "Ha ha, You are BUSTED!" He rolled down his window and confirmed his guiltiness. "YES, You caught me!" He laughed as he continued to put his SEAT BELT on!
I only road my bike 5 miles this evening. On the way home I could see this big beefy red truck coming up along side of me. This guy has his windows down and in a red neck voice barks out the window "Nice, is that a Huffy!" I couldn't help but laugh. I probably looked like a little kid toying through the neighborhood on my bike. The sun was coming down, my pony tail was bobbing and I was swaying back and forth as fast as I could on my bike.
 
It all comes down to a good attitude for me. This seems to be one of the only things I can control. Some days are easier than others when trying to cope with the disappointment of not running. I am trying to give it to God and trust Him over everything. Life is unfair and there is not always a explanation for things. Questioning God is normal. I struggle with not being able to control by body. I struggle with not knowing what I can and can not do. These are reminders to rely on God not Myself. To exercise my Faith in Him and Not myself.
 
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment