"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Out of Breath...

One of my favorite mantras is "Just Breath".



When I am out there on a run, the hard one, the run where you cant breathe, I have to coach myself between the ears.
I have to remind myself a few things:

  1. Calm Down AND BREATH. Not the shallow chesty breathing. The deep guttural breathing. I have to relax and consciously breathe through my gut. I often times say to myself "Breathe in Gods Power in your Weakness Anita." Air is so vital to your stamina and endurance. However, you can breathe and never absorb the power of air if you are not breathing correct. I relax and absorb all Gods air and feel it as it circulates throughout my body, giving me more energy and endurance. :Philippians 4:13 " I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
     
  2. Easy Does It. If you are a beginning runner ease your way into running. Don't worry about your speed. Get used to just perpetually moving forward. There is a lot going on with your mind and your body that you are trying to figure out. Use the "Talk Test" to see if you may be going to fast. If you can not talk through your run then SLOW DOWN. Add some walk breaks in there to manage your breathing. Ease into your pace. This allows your respiratory system time to gain endurance and strength.
  3. Running FORM. I scream from several feet away at the kids I coach "HEAD UP, Shoulders BACK!!" Today, I had one of the coaches laughing at me when I added "HEY, YOUR not running into the ground so put your HEAD up and LOOK where your running!" When you drop you head, you drop your shoulders. When you drop you shoulders it tightens the chest muscles making it more difficult to breathe while you run. And if you are not getting proper oxygen then you are going to fatigue earlier. When we get tired we tend to fall forward and fall apart. If you find this happening slow down or add a 10 second walk break in there to get it together. You do not want to compromise your form, this could lead to not only fatigue but also injuries.
  4. There are runs that I am so out of breath I feel like a dying animal. These are my hard runs. It pains me to hear myself huffing and puffing. So I...Turn my music up LOUDER! When I hear myself breathing I will mess myself up worrying to much about how bad I sound. These emotions lead me feel defeated because I think I am weak sauce. When I have some good POWER songs I will actually find myself running to the beat. This calms my breathing down and helps me not focus on the noises coming out of my mouth!
Yesterday, at X-country several of the girls had melt downs. Between the heat and the course the girls fell apart. By the time they had finished the 2 mile course in 80 degrees they were left with an empty tank and a full face of tears. "BREATHE, Relax and BREATHE" I coached the girls as they hyperventilated and gasped for air.
Today, I tried to teach them a little about breathing and the importance of proper breathing and posture. I touched on the emotional side of it briefly. I wanted them to be out of breath so they could start paying attention and learn how to start breathing.  I found this great article from Runners World. I did the exercise the kids.
Check it out: Lung Power.

RUNDOWN:
Distance: 3 miles
1 mile C/D walk and try not to cry. I tried to stay disciplined when I wanted to run like a beast. I wanted to not just run miles I wanted to run till my body was empty. I have to play it smart. My knee began to hurt, as much as I knew I could run through it, I didn't. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Humbled yet again. I wanted to fall to my broken knees and beg God to his healing hand on my injured knee. I am reminded in my weakness that HE is in control.

This is dedicated to Lori P. She is a very special lady.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment