For the last 2 days I have been 2 timing. This is running twice in 1 day. I love running outside but the heat is killer. It is just a matter of minutes the sweat erupts from your skin. Sweat grosses me out royally! Even my own sweat grosses me out. I hate the way it feels. It is so nasty when my arms brush up against my skin and the sweat and skin connects. UGH!
So I do the best I can to get as many miles outside as I can then I try and top the rest off at the gym on the treadmill.
Yesterday I ran over 8 miles outside and then took Andy up to the gym with Alec to get to my 10 miles. It is so nice being able to hit the gym and do the cold plunge. The Cold plunge is like the cherry on top.
Today was a little more complicated. My oldest son had Basketball camp in Clarkston and I had a salon meeting also in Clarkston. I get up every morning with Andy at 6AM (New years resolution 1 1/2 years ago). This morning I was making lunches, breakfasts and getting my running clothes together. Next thing I knew I barely had my coffee down and we were running out the door. I had every minute planned and planned tight. I was hoping it would all go as planned. I needed to get in atl LEAST 4 miles.
- Austin dropped off promptly at 7:30am CHECK
- Back to my work by 7:35am, drop off bag and start my 4 mile run to make it back to meeting by 8:15. CHECK
- Meeting at Salon on time, CHECK!
But again..I had to do a two timer. After I picked up Austin at basketball I took the boys to the gym to swim where I ran another 3 miles on the TM. I did a progressive run. I started at a 8:34 pace and finished at a 7:24.
Luke 14:18-20 "But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’
So how do we apply this crazy running stuff to life? Today with all the hustle and bustle of my day I reminded myself that sometimes you have to make the best out of things. Things are not always ideal and often times we are looking for an excuse to get out of what we need to do.
No EXCUSES..Just DRIVE. It is like a challenge to make things happen. The feeling of accomplishment far exceeds the feeling of regret and excuses. We have to learn how to bend and not break. Accept change and make the most out of it. And accomplish what you set out to do. Its ok if you have to alter the plan a bit..But don't make excuses or look for a back door.
TIPS To Remember in the Heat:
- Hydrate hydrate and don't wait until its too late!
- Run routes where you can drink or fill up.
- Try and get out early or late but afternoon runs are a bad date!
- Listen to your body, if you are dizzy, tacky, tingly...take caution.
- Sunblock, sunglasses and visors or hats are good to have on hot runs.
- Remember it is 10 degrees hotter outside running then the temperatures say. Running is going to take more effort..it is ok to slow down your still a Rock Star!