"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Table Talk: Addiction


Life is very interesting... in the end, some of your greatest pains, become your greatest strengths.Drew Barrymore Quote for Overcoming Addiction



I am still trying to compartmentalize my evening. I had my group meeting tonight for families with loved ones that struggle with addiction.
We were running out of room as we all sat around the toddler table in the nursery of our church. Tonight as I looked around the table I could see the effects of what dealing with addiction does to us. I could see the puffy eyes and the looks of exhaustion from lack of sleep. I could see lips quivering and hands shaking.
With each face my heart breaks. Pain and heartache outlines each story. Mothers, wives, girlfriends, husbands and even siblings. Each one a different story.
Each one carry different baggage from anger, resentments, isolation, confusion, sadness and shame. As different as their bondage is there are elements that each one is seeking..peace, comfort, understanding and knowledge.
I see the tears well up and I try to look in a different direction. I can feel my throat swelling and my heart breaking. I feel their pain. I wish I could be more than a sounding board. I wish we had more than 40 minutes. I wish I had all the answers.
Addiction is disruptive. It is like cancer in the family. It truly hurts everyone.
We take personally what is not ours to take personal.
I have been leading this meeting for over 8 years and I am thankful that God has softened my heart. My heart hurts for EVERYONE involved including the addict.

We become as sick as our loved ones in the midst of addiction. It is straight up chaos. But as the evening comes to a close and then some I am seeing a smile. I see a glimmer of peace. There was healing today for those around the table.

Galations 6:2 " Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfill the Law of Christ."
 
 
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment