"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Rules to Running Your own Race*


When it comes to taking care of our bodies physically we are often juggling life to find time. But when it comes to training our minds we have a barrage of opportunities and plenty of time to exercise our hearts and minds.
We are bombarded with obstacles that affect our heart on a daily basis. Whether it is staying content with our life when we see our neighbor has a Furniture truck showing up again or we are dealing with poopy diapers and another morning with out a shower and feel less than ladylike. 
Everywhere we turn we try to move forward and find ourselves distracted by someone or something.

1 Corinthians 9:24 –
 "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it."
Many of us do not like to even go to the gym because we get distracted by that woman with the matching shoes and outfit or the all too perfect body on Little Miss Blondie. 
And for us runners we can really trip over our training when we look at that person to our right or left out running us.
What is our Deal? Why do we get so Distracted and find ourselves wallowing in the Land of Discouragement?
Here are 5 Simple Rules to Running Your Own Race!
  1. Focus On your Race-  Keep your eyes in your own lane. If I am not careful I will look at others when running and also in life. I will compare myself to them and their gifts and talents. When I look at others I can feel discouraged or defeated before I even start. My success is different than others. We all have our own ingredients that we are made up of, truly successful people don’t keep their eyes on everyone else’s progress. They keep their eyes in their own lane.
    If you measure your success relative to how everyone else is doing you’ll probably end up far below your potential. 
  2.  Keep your Head in the Game- Running a race is not just a test of physical strength and endurance it is very strategic. So is life. We can not go through life letting our emotions steer us. How many times do we hear someone say, "Follow your Heart"?  My Heart is what leads to me goals and desires but it is not what is going to fulfill these. You have to have a plan of action. Knowledge, discernment, and instruction is vital. And it is equally important to not just know it BUT follow it. There was a man that I was listening to in Boston that said he wanted to run a 3:20 marathon. He knew the course very well and was physically prepared to do so. He also knew how much strategy was involved to pull this off. He finished in 3:45! He did not follow the advice of those who had ran it. He did not listen to what he KNEW. He got caught up in the emotion of the race. Let your heart produce goals but use your Head to direct you. Our heart is where passion is birthed and if not careful can sink your ship.
  3.  You are known by the company you keep- I Share this with my boys all the time.  If you want to achieve greatness surround yourself around those that are great. But if you keep company with those who do not have the same ambition or drive as you, you are going to be weighed down. Good fellowship and company is vital to a victorious life. I am encompassed around people that love and support me. That pick me up when I am down and encourage and motivate me to be a better me. They graciously counsel me knowing that I will receive their advice as love. Having a teachable heart is a key to being surrounded by people that have more to offer than you may have to share.
  4. You can not pace everyone in- Many of us want to help and encourage others. It feels good to be wanted or needed. We can do this for a while but if not managed it can slow your pace down and hinder you from your own task.There are people in our lives we love dearly and want so badly to help and encourage. We can still love them and encourage them from a different angle. But ultimately they have to run their own race. You can not do it for them. You can be there for them but we have to have balance and boundaries.
  5. If you do not Win every race you are still a Winner- I have done many races. I have never gotten a 1st Place Overall Medal. But after every race I feel like a Champion. I know that I have given my all, that I never quit, and that I did the best I could. This Trophy does not have to stand on a dresser or hang from your neck. The trophy is in YOU. It is knowing that you did Your race with Integrity, Hard Work, Perseverance and Strength. That you encouraged someone along the way as you would want, that you were not just a consumer but a supplier as well. It is not how fast you reach the finish but how well you do getting there.
Do you get Distracted Easy? What areas do you find yourself Distracted? Do you let your Heart Lead you and not your head? If so How?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out the other 15 Bloggers in this series!!
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RUNDOWN:
Distance: 3 miles Easy. Ran with "Paula". My training required me to run easy so I was really enjoying having "Paula" run sprints! I had her sweating for me!
I volunteer for my son's X country team. I ran a couple miles with the kids. Absolutely in Hog Heaven running with my boys and not having them embarrassed of their mom!

CONTEST: At the end of the 5 Day Series if you have commented on the questions on all 5 days I will send out a care package that will be related to health and fitness.

RULES:
You HAVE to be a subscriber to the blog.
You have to answer or comment on the post. 
At the end I will contact you to receive your address.
IF by chance there are more than 5 participants I will Draw 3 names.

4 comments:

  1. All of these points ring true to me about running! #5 is especially true for running the Boston Marathon. Even with the best preparation, my results have varied considerably each year, but "the journey is the destination" for Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, I got your message on Facebook and it spoke VOLUMES to me. Thank you so much for all the great information. Number 5 really interceded with running the course with your head. I hope I see you when we get to Boston. I think we are going to do the expo on Sunday...
      We are arriving in Boston on Saturday.

      Thanks Tony*
      Anita

      Delete
  2. WOW!! Powerful blog Anita!! I can say I get distracted at work. So easy to get pulled into gossip - better to just keep my eyes "in my own lane" and focus on what I do, not what someone else is or isn't doing. I have had to do this multiple times in the past few months, and often have to remind myself to not get pulled into conversations that are negative. Every one of your points can be applied to so many things! It is so easy to give up before you even get started when you compare yourself to others - in life and in running. I have learned so much by running with you - I admire your strength and stamina, and especially your ability to keep your head in the game! It is often more a mental than a physical battle in many aspects of life/running. I am still trying to improve in that area - but not by comparing myself to you, only trying to learn and emulate you in a way that I know will work for me. Does that make sense?? I guess I'm saying I do compare myself to you, but in a way to help better myself - because I desire that kind of strength,courage, and determination. As I have said before - You are my idol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle your words encourage my posts this week. The honesty you share is invaluable. We are not perfect..Not 1 of us. But us woman do not like to admit the we might GOSSIP! I have caught myself in the same position. And out of my hurt I have even said a couple things that needed to be chained in my mouth.

      I am feeling really convicted. I am gonna work on this.
      And about 100 other things! lol
      We are a work in progress..So thankful He is not finished with me yet!

      Delete