"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Give a runner a Thumbs UP!!


Saturday Andy and I had it planned that I would meet up with him on his long run. It was a simple plan if he could get the name of the roads we live around correctly! So I took out pretty fast thinking I would catch up with him and bring it down a notch. Of course I NEVER found him!! I took a new route according to the directions he had given me and hauling butt kept searching for him. Another bend, a another misdiagnosed road sign, another hill and no sign of Andy. I got back home and continued to look for him for over 45 minutes and even took the dog to help.  Unfortunately I was not able to run part of Andys long run with him because he gave me the wrong directions but I got some speed work in and he finished just fine.

"The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare."   - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner
Sunday. Due to the day before speed work my legs were quite heavy. Today was my long run. They were calling for rain so after church, bible study then breakfast I quickly got dressed and headed out to conquer the pavement.
Problem was I left to fast. My Chick-ita-Pita was was better going down then coming up! My route was not only hillier than I remembered it was also warmer out then I had prepared for. I left the house with no water and clearly no brains! As I got to the 4 mile mark I noticed cars were slowing down and creeping to a halt.
I was chuckling to myself as I was moving faster than them. It was a little awkward running so close to the cars. I almost felt like I had an audience. This was one way to make sure my form was looking good. I had one mile to go and then turn around and run directly along side of the creeping cars. Now I felt weird. I was less then 2 feet from their windows. And because they were stuck in their cars they had nothing better to do then STARE. But as I sheepishly looked in their direction I got SMILES! I couldn't help look at the passengers. Kids were yelling out the windows and giving me thumbs up. Wives were sharing friendly smiles. It was like having me own cheering crowd. I was loving it. Returning the smiles was natural. And the more I smiled the more I felt encouraged.
The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. Mark Twain
This is running season. All the fall runs are on and popping. You are going to see more spandex and rubber soles the next few weeks as these runners are preparing for their favorite races. I challenge you to give a runner a thumbs up! They are out there pounding the pavement, battling their pain and trying to keep their head in the game. You could just be that one person that gets them a little farther or trades their distorted face for a grin. Be a runners cheerleader. We Love it~

THE RUNDOWN:
Weekly miles: 40miles
Today.

Distance: 11.01
Pace: 8:14
Times:1:30:39

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment