"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

GET over the Hills in your Life.

Airhead move #2363, but then who is really counting?
I ran up to the track to meet Claudia for a 8 miler. Only one thing trumps my coffee, it is my run. Running at 6:30am intercepts that initial cup of Joe.
I ran to the track from home, after waiting a couple minutes I sent a text to Claudia to see where her position was.
"OH CRAP.." We were meeting Thursday not this morning.
Without any hesitation she replied, "Be there in 10"

I stared down at my phone in shock. She was dropping everything to meet me, "WOW" I thought, this is amazing.


And that is what it was. AMAZING.
The weather was perfect, at 60 degrees. The sun was warming my skin enough I had to take my arm sleeves off.
The backroads were kind to my legs, with little potholes and dust. It was lush, green everywhere.
Claudia was full of energy, the more excited she got the faster she was running. I actually added walk breaks in our run to scale her back. She has a half marathon this Saturday. I don't know how effective I was, she walked as fast as she ran. My Smurf legs were about 2 steps behind her. It was actually more effort to walk at her pace then run at her pace!

11 Miles total today. 8 miles with her.

WHEN YOU WANT TO QUIT:
I have a mile back home from the track with a significant hill to contend with. I stared a half a mile out looking at the hill ahead of me. He stared back at me, not to back down. The hill wasn't going to change His position. Glaring at the hill like it was the AntiChrist I thought of ways I could avoid it. I made plans on how I could cheat it. I even found myself REACTING to it in anger.
I never entertained the idea to just GET OVER IT. I had a million excuses WHY I DIDNT NEED TO RUN UP IT.
This was the foundation of our running conversation today. This topic also became part of another conversation I had later in the day.
Don't we all have some JUSTIFICATION to WHY or WHY NOT we should not be doing the right thing.
Just as I was totally justified in skipping the hill, or walking the hill, we Justify why we should take the "Easy way out".
We have a pocket full of excuses, great ones at that and we use them to play the victim.
That stupid hill took me 3 minutes to get over. 3 stupid, measly, poodunk minutes. Yeah, I was out of breath, my lungs were burning, my body was tingling, and I ultimately felt like a wuss. But I DID IT!

How does behaving poorly, avoiding, making excuses, being offended, isolating, getting angry or bitter make you a better person anymore than walking or avoiding the hills make you a better runner?
IT DOESN'T.
We have all been hurt, we have all been disappointed, we have all put our "Miles" in if you will. Most of us are dealing with adversity in this broken world.
But if you want to be Better, If you want to GET BETTER..Then You better GET OVER YOURSELF.

There is a book out there, secular book, The Four Agreements. I liked the 4 basic concepts of the in this book. It shows a lot of wisdom.

Be Impeccable With Your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
 
Don’t Take Anything Personally: Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
 
Don’t Make Assumptions: Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
 
Always Do Your Best: Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
 
1. "Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3
2."Even a child is known by his doings, whether it be pure or whether it be right." Proverbs 20:11
3. "For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing."
1 Peter 3:17
4. "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23,24
 
 
Anita



No comments:

Post a Comment