"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Don't Judge Me!

If we judge others, it is because we are judging something in ourselves of which we are unaware.
John A. Sandford
 
 
 
Whether I am on the treadmill or I am stretching out my legs there are people all around me. We watch one another and we check each other out.
I have been on the treadmill running my heart out only to discover the person next to me is leaning my way checking out my digits. I can feel myself getting insecure wondering what they are thinking.
I too have checked out that person and hear myself saying things like:
"Get your arms up, pull your shoulders back..."
Last week there was a woman on the treadmill who was doing some sort of interval training. She would pick her pace up so fast that the treadmill started clunking and clanking. I saw her out of the corner of my eyes looking like she was drowning only she was not swimming. I couldn't help but look it her. She grabbed the handrail without slowing down and her legs were almost 2 feet behind her body. I seriously was concerned she was going to fly off. I thought "Oh Gosh, just slow down a spell, your going to fly off and end up in the weight area."
Was this judgmental?
Or even today. A young woman got on a treadmill in front of me. It was hardly even 8am and she looked like a rock star. Her blond hair was hanging perfectly past her shoulders and her make up looked like something out of a CoverGirl ad. Trying not to judge her I gave her secret compliments.  But her pants! I couldn't help but wince in pain for her. They were so tight they went all the way up her..Crack. OUCH. ...Was this judging??
About that time I thought of myself. I could see my reflection in the tv screen attached to my TM. I looked underweight and gaunt. My skin is the palest it has ever been and I broke out with red pimples in the middle of my 40 year old wrinkles. My hair was sticking up about 3 inches in the air like a peacock. I was something to look at myself. Are we allowed to judge ourselves?
 
"DON'T JUDGE ME"
This is one of the biggest over used statement I know of.
Yesterday I heard this statement 3 TIMES.
I was at lunch with "Katie". She was telling a story and used it with a giggle and a smile.
I think it is trending in the context she used it in.
I have heard it jokingly as of late.  But every so often it is used in seriousness.
 
I have noticed that often times when people use this statement they are judging the person they are accusing of judging THEM.
 
People get ACCOUNTABLITY and JUDGMENT mixed up. We don't like to be held accountable anymore. We want to do what we want to do without explaining ourselves to anyone.
EVERYTHING we do affects someone else.
 
The reality is we ALL judge one another when it really comes down to it.
It is the manner we do it in that hurts people.
 
When I wanted to qualify for Boston, Andy pulled me aside and told me some of the things I was doing wrong. He shared with me some things I needed to incorporate be better. It was hard to hear coming from someone that was not running a lot. But I knew he loved me and wanted to see me successful.

WHAT I DIDNT DO:
  • I didn't get a chip on my shoulder.
  • I didn't make excuses.
  • I didn't blame shift it.
  • He was right. It was something I needed to work on.
Someone I love dearly shared some very deep issues she was dealing with. She knows that I don't agree with the choices she is making, however, she knows I love her. She knows I am not going to agree with her but I do not judge her. She loves me enough to know that I love her enough to communicate to her in Love.
 
I have to look at myself in the mirror every day. Everyday I have the opportunity to be a better person than I was yesterday.
But like running, being the best person I can be is full of set backs, heartache, confusion and WORK. Being better means there are things I am going to have to sacrifice and give up (like brownie brittle)!
It also means I accept that I am NOT perfect and He is NOT finished with me yet. Some days I really fall short. As I look at my imperfections I do not look at them as an end all. I just pick myself back up and try again.
I appreciate that person in my life that has the courage to hold me accountable. I know that they love me and want to see the best in me.
 I don't want a friend in my life that is going tell me what I WANT to hear. I need a Friend in my life that is going to tell me what I need to hear.
 
THROWBACK THURSDAY!!
 
One of Andys first races! 2009
 
RUNDOWN:
Distance: 10 miles
Pace: 7:41
Time:1:17
This run HURT. I was still sore from yesterday. I had moments of numbness but then the fatigue and soreness came back. I was so numb the last mile I shocked myself and finished it at a 7:10 pace. Happy Happy Happy!
 
 
Have you ever been called Judgmental? How did that make you feel? Have you ever said to someone "Don't Judge me"?  What made you think they were judging you?
 
Anita
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment