"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Letting Your Obstacles Build your Tool Box.

Why do so many of us give up so fast? Why are we better at quitting then finishing?
Diets are so popular because they are temporary and yet most people can't even finish a temporary goal!
Is it because we feel we are not worth it? Is it because it does not stimulate us long enough?
Is it because we have just gotten in the habit of If it doesn't feel good than I am not going to continue it?

Running isn't easy. On an average run I have an above average amount of aches and pains. But if I stopped at the first pain today I wouldn't have even made it to mile 2. And if I stopped when the foot started throbbing I may not have made it to mile 5. Or what about when I had to go to the bathroom The WHOLE TIME, or I got that silly side stitch or ugh, when I am just plain empty and depleted..For me today I would not have made it to 13 miles. The farthest I have ran in weeks, even months I believe. 

For every ache and pain you run through you get acclimated to a degree of that pain. You run through it. You press on a little bit farther till you do not even notice it any longer because it usually goes away. You develop tools that get you through the obstacles of pain.
These tools are the same tools that get you through life. I have heard it said that "Most people give up right before something incredible is about to happen."

Today my incredible was achieving 13 miles. Not giving up, not quitting, not throwing in the towel when my body was ready to at mile 2. There is something incredible we all desire. There are even things we do not and can not imagine we could achieve or have if we just pursued, persevered, and didn't give up or give in. My example would be running BOSTON. It was never ever on my bucket list because I thought it was out of my league. Never in a million years if you asked me would I have said I thought I could run it.

Romans 5:3-4  "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

I developed tools one at a time. I wasn't given a bag of tricks or came equipped with a fully furnished toolbox. They came through blood, sweat and tears.
But look at the tools available to you. PERSEVERANCE, CHARACTER AND HOPE.

I am grateful for my blood. God has blessed me. But God has given our family one very distinct disease. ADDICTION.
We are so strong in so many ways. My running is a bi-product of my genetics. And so is alcoholism and drug addiction. I was talking to a cousin and said this. "....Even our Addiction when overcame is a blessing. God knew the strength he gave each of us. The strength of God is stronger than the addiction! But unfortunately we have allowed the addiction to have more strength....."
I wish I could just illustrate Perseverance through this post. Do not quit. Overcome yourself and your demons. Use the aches and pains of running or life to be building blocks to success and achievement rather than stumbling blocks to failure and disappointment.  FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

The RUNDOWN:
I labeled my run the "Katie Run". "Katie" ran her first half marathon and after talking to her she got me so excited. So excited that I set out to do 12 miles today and decided to go all the way. I pretended like I was with her in Chicago. The Cow bells were ringing in my ears with crazy college kids shouting and throwing our high fives. I could see the pacers in front of me as well at 30,000 people surrounding me. Oh the thrill. The adrenaline and comradely of all the runners. Today was a great run. Even for a day dreamer!
Total Miles: 13.03
Average Pace: 8:16
Time: 1:47:45   
Fastest mile:7:34..Mile 13
Negative split. increasing speed slowly almost every mile.



Nutrition:
After running sometimes you do not feel like eating but are thirsty. A good recovery drink often quenches your thirst and refuels you. On top of water I enjoy chocolate milk and Odwalla Super Protein. 
MOVIE THEATER POPCORN..NO BUTTER!
BUT. Tonight's guilty pleasure looked like this: Maw Maws Chocolate Chip Cookie and
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment