"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, August 8, 2011

Be Somebodies Something!!



 "It is more Blessed to Give than to Receive."

Our receptionist at the salon I work at is doing her 1st half marathon this weekend. The Chicago Rock and Roll half marathon. I am so excited for her. Tuesday when I saw "Katie" she asked me a few questions and I realized there were many things she didn't know.
She didn't know to cut back on her miles the week of a race.
She didn't know what an EXPO was and all the fun things they have to offer.
She didn't know about gels or chomps.
She didn't know the course or the best place for her mom to cheer her on.
I decided it would be good to do her last long run with her.

"Katie and I met at the Park and Ride and drove to Indian Springs Metropark. We decided to do 10 miles. I was hoping the sky was going to be kind enough to let us finish our run. It didn't look good and had already rained pretty heavy on the way to meet "Katie".

By the time we took to the paved trail the skies were fine but the humidity was atrocious. It was thick and sticky. We both carried our water bottles unsure of where a water station might be.
The trails were in and out of a wooded area but because of the rain the night before and the humidity the black flies were attacking us like their last meal. I looked at "Katie" and was horrified she was leading a huge swarm of flies. They were all over the back of her tee shirt and there was a dense black swirling ball of them above her head. When she noticed them she was swatting and slapping them off the best she could. Finally after 10 minutes of ridiculous waving and thrashing we decided we were wasting our energy and better just suck it up and run.

We ran and chatted, trying to not concentrate on the scavengers encircling us. I really enjoyed being part of her training for her first big race. I secretly added another mile in there, but she secretly hid that she knew what I was doing!The last couple miles we concentrated on relaxing and focusing. I shared mantra with her that helps me get over a "Wall" and encourages me to go farther or faster or JUST GO!

My stomach has been acting up for the past 3 days. Cramping and bloated. I have had a poor diet the last few days so I was trying to figure out what the culprit could be that was causing me this grief:
For one
"Aunt Mary" came to visit Friday and hasn't left town yet....!!
Maybe it was my choice of weird foods for dinner at THE WOODSHOP...Fried Pickles & Fried Twinkies??
Maybe it was the Chinese Buffet we took our nephew to Saturday?....I loaded up on white rice and sushi??
Maybe it was the ridiculous TRIPLE Freaking Chocolate STINKING Cake the neighbor brought over on Sunday???
Who knows. but UGH...I need to detox!!! I know there is a problem when I do not even enjoy my cup of heaven from Tim Horton!

THE RUNDOWN:
Distance: 11.04
Time: 1:39:19
Pace: 9:00
Calories: 1520 cal
Fastest Mile: 8:51
Slowest Mile: 9:11
 "People even more than things have to be restored, renewed, reclaimed and redeemed and redeemed and redeemed." Audrey Hepburn

Challenge: Be someones something this week. Be an encouragement to someone. Support someone. 
There are hurting people everywhere. There are people that like "Katie" want a companion, support or cheer leading. Be that Person! Step out of your box and be that person. Be someones smile, Be someones laugh, or maybe be someones Kleenex....
  1. A phone call
  2. A note or a card
  3. A cup of coffee or tea
  4. A Smile
  5. A Gift

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment