"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 22, 2021

The Turtle and the Hare

 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27


The truth is, often times in the real world it seems the hare wins. It is the talented, the speedy and so very witty that seem to win.  They go confidently knowing they are quick. 

But the saying stands true, "Life is like a marathon not a sprint." 

I am currently holding strong in "Run the Mitt" . I am in 5th place, I was in 4th place but Joe had to go out and do another mile to pass me tonight! 
No, there's no competition there at all! 
I am the only girl in top 6 that is actually showing verification for my miles. It is an honor system but verification of a link or a photo shows more integrity for the honor system. 
I have always felt like I have to prove myself. Its another character defect of mine. I think it is part of my pipsqueak complex. 

My insecurity of being a trailer park girl. The girl that didn't stand a chance. The girl that heard the whispers of those that didn't think I would ever make it out of the mess. 
I am that girl, that woman still at 47, fighting against the odds. Determined to not give up, not give in. Hell bent on overcoming, fighting or die trying. 
No I don't stand a chance at a 5K. But I will give you a run for your money if we can go long. 
I will settle in, scale back, and not give up. 

That's the Turtle. Slow and steady. I had over 70 miles last week. One mile at a time. By the grace of God go I. 
Every mile, I stood in AWE of Gods miracle on my body. You see it was 2 years go I was diagnosed with this terribly aggressive breast cancer. I fought that marathon. A marathon that was the hardest race I had ever ran. I look back, I see pictures and I try not to cry. Its a blur. I was so damn sick. I am haunted by that race. 
Here I stand. Here I run. Failure is NOT an option. Giving up is not in the cards. I want to feel LIFE. I want to pursue my passions. 
The sweat on my brows of stubbornness. The wind brushing my skin giving me goose pimples makes me smile. The smell of moss through the woods is so delightful. To feel, to touch, to endure, to love, to hurt, GOD it FEELS so GOOD to live out that passion even at a turtles crawl. 
I get to compete. I get this opportunity to play with the big dogs. 
I would never have thought 2 years ago when Dr. Sullivan told me I was going to have the hardest marathon of my life I would be running like this today. 

If I can just encourage you to LIVE THIS LIFE fully. It is short. Life is so short. Feel it. Touch it. Smell its sweetness. No excuses. Embrace the adventures out there. 
Life is hard. I KNOW. I don't have a cookie cutter life. But I have strong faith. That's what separates me. God has given me JOY. He has blessed me. He has protected me. He has healed me. He never said life was going to be peachy keen or Jim Dandy. But he said he would never leave me or forsake me. 

Holdridge, a gnarly mess of switchbacks and climbs. I remember the first time I ran this, I couldn't walk for a week. 


RUNDOWN:  
Monday: Holdridge: 2 west loops 1w/ lake loop and tech, 1 north loop: 13
Tuesday: recovery
Wednesday: Holly rec: Wilderness loop with Lake loop and roads: 10.5
Thursday: Holdridge: East loop & north loop: run with CRU:18
Friday: recovery
Saturday: Holdridge Grubers and West loop and PotOGold virtual: 24
Sunday: Holly Rec and backroads: 10.5
Total miles: 76


It may seem a little excessive. Maybe even a little ridiculous. But remember....the tortoise. Slow and steady....

Anita~ 

1 comment:

  1. You are to be congratulated in your effort Nita. I like your analogy of the the tortoise and the hare. I’ve always maintained that the opposition may be stronger, faster, and more talented; but never let them outwork you. It is the one thing you can control. Tenacity is one of God’s greatest gifts...never let it go to waste.

    ReplyDelete