"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 15, 2021

Trail Legs

"If you are studying the bark of a tree with a magnifying glass, there's no way for you to see the whole forest. Step back a bit and start enjoying the scenery, the ground beneath your feet, and the wind on your face." Lauren Fleshman Olympian


 I ran Friday night with Andy on the West loop at Holdridge and thought I was dying after the first mile. My legs were like wet noodles and my lungs were burning with confusion.  From a few feet behind me I heard  Andy grumble "I have a lot of work to do." 
"That makes 2 of us" I replied.

Trail Legs
I ventured out this morning to try the trails again. 
Rachel and I ran with the sunrise and it was glorious. She ran strong and confident in front of me as I tried to keep up with the conversations and the pace. 
She headed out for an appointment and I was on my own. In those few seconds, all my thoughts started babbling at the same time a different plan. "Quit", "Just walk", "Do the North Loop and call it good", Get out there Candy A$$, don't be a wuss."

I looked carefully down at my watch, trying not to trip and fall again. I was going twice as slow and half as fast as I was going before I fell head over heals. "Half as fast" I chuckled to myself, with no audience I thought I was hilarious. Half A$$ or half as fast sounded the same and felt the same. 
 I headed back on the trail. I have to get reacquainted with this different form of torture. But between the double owl siting, the sunrise, the hopping husky named "Blue" I met , it was worth even the tumble into the weeds. 
++++++++++++++++++++
Part of training is switching things up. I have to keep my feet on the pavement for Charlevoix in June and I have to get my trail legs for North Country in August. 

Lauren Fleshman wrote this in one of my training journals, I listed my few favorites:
COMPONENTS OF A SUCCESSFUL TRAINING PLAN
  • Builds toward one to three key races
  • Incorporates your favorite types of workouts to feed your joy of the sport
  • Builds in adequate recovery
  • Flexes to accommodate your health, other commitments, ect. 
  • Is fun. At least most of the time!
"One last thing, A training plan is completely useless without belief. Be mindful about your training: Don't be afraid to ask questions or educate yourself, but be careful not to overanalyze...." Lauren Fleshman

BELIEF
You have to believe. Then you set yourself around like minded people. Thursday nights with Complete runner I run with great runners. For over 2 years, I have worked so hard to just run in their shadows. Life has thrown a few sucker punches. But I haven't quit believing, I haven't quit trying. 
Like every Thursday, we head out at 6pm for 5 miles. And like every Thursday I try so hard to run with the big dogs. I feel my entire body fighting my passion to be better, even seconds better. 
Doug is one of our faster runners, other than the young whipper snappers. Now Doug,  my age, just killed a 5k last weekend with a 19 minute 5k. I can't hold a candle to that for even a mile without pooping my pants in despair.  But on our training run Doug entertained a conversation with me for a mile then slowly broke off leaving me with my dignity before he departed. I couldn't catch him. But I could see him. He broke away but I never took my eyes off him. By mile 3, I could still see him. The nightfall hadn't came upon me as I closed in on mile 4 and I could still see him. I picked up my pace. "Hold on Anita", with everything I had I picked up my pace. Doug stopped and turned around "ANITA!" he yelled with surprise as I heaved myself towards him, "DOUGGGGG!! Doug!! I almost fell into him I was so excited. My fastest run in over 2 years!! 

Training exercise: 
TWO-BY-SIX FIX
WHY: Tune up for a marathon
Who recommends it: Coach Kevin Johnson, who's Hanson runner Desiree Davila and Mike Reneau did this tune up 3 weeks before their marathon. 
After a warmup, do two 6-mile runs, each at 5 seconds per mile faster than your marathon goal pace. Walk or jog 10 minutes between them. "You're trying to teach your body to run fast while your tired, before beginning the marathon taper," Says Hanson. 

RECIPE
I made mini cakes. So darn cute, thank you Pampered chef for these cute cake pans. the recipe made 6. 


Danielle made this and gave me a slice after a run a couple weeks ago. It made my tongue SMACK my brains! She reads this murder mystery that shares recipes. 



Inspiration Station: 
Mom, called me every day when I had cancer. twice a day. 

Mom, Andys Mom, my mom.  She has alwasy been my biggest cheerleader. "Nita, how are you doing in that race, BEAT those BOYS!" 
I will never hold a candle to this Godly women, but I always try. She is an amazing lady, so full of LOVE, encouragement, kindness, forgiveness. I am so grateful to have her next to me to teach me to BE BETTER.  

"If you are studying the bark of a tree with a magnifying glass, there's no way for you to see the whole forest. Step back a bit and start enjoying the scenery, the ground beneath your feet, and the wind on your face." Lauren Fleshman Olympian
COLLISION
This is life. Sometime we cant see the forest through the trees. We get caught up in a moment, in a idea, even a relationship. We stumble on words from others and get stuck on stupid. Life is made up of moments, and many beautiful moments will never get noticed if your focused on one thing. 
Let it go. 
Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment