"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 8, 2021

Run the Mitt: Friendly Competition

 "My Top 5 Exercises: 1. Jumping to conclusions 2. Flying off the handle 3. Carrying things too far 4. Dodging responsibilities 5. Pushing my Luck" 
Rick Sutter
I ordered this basic road map off Amazon. I barely got it out of the package before Andy had measuring tape and markers! It has not been updated, I am pretty sure he took the lead over me. He snuck in "Mitt Miles" secretly to get ahead of me!


Run The Mitt is a virtual perimeter run. You post the miles you run or walk and they accumulate to the distance around the mitt. When you get to key check points they send you a pin that attaches to a ribbon. You have a year to accomplish 1035 miles. 
Several of my running club friends joined. I am the pipsqueak in the group. But as the underdog in the group, I took the lead. It was fun while it lasted. Those boys were not going to let that go on for too long! 

Andy, Antonio and Doug are the highest form of competitiveness. We have been group texting friendly little jabs. Sandbagging runs, sneaking runs, double running and a whole lot of overrunning and ridiculousness have become part of the craft. 
Well as I added my weekly miles I had a "come to Jesus" moment. I realized I took the bait. I ran over 65 miles this week. Double runs and double digits. I drank the Kool-Aid, I am sucker!  

Competition: Carrying things to far.
Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt. And we all know my luck, that someone will be me! Assess the situation. I have always been teased "Anita, you have to know when you are taking things to far."  I think its my Napoleon Complex. I have that short girl syndrome. I fight like hell, often times getting caught up and lose myself in a moment that doesn't matter. 

Competition: Pushing my Luck.
I don't really believe in Luck. Even being half Irish I don't believe in Luck. Probably because if there was a thing called Luck, I would only have bad Luck. Pushing my Luck is not a good gamble for me. I love to play games, all kinds of games, but gambling or games of luck have never been my thing. I hate loosing to luck. 
I know that if I keep running like this I am playing a dangerous game. But it is really fun. 

Competition: #6 Holding your OWN. 
Do you ever listen to your own dialogue? I do. That's how I do my self inventory.  
The things I heard from myself:
  1. Hold your own, play at your own pace Anita. 
  2. Stay focused, your getting distracted by what others are doing. You do YOU. 
  3. Enjoy the game, have fun. Encourage the others, laugh, play and have fun. 
  4. Play smart. keep your pace down, eat, sleep, hydrate and RECOVER. 
Competition: Keep it friendly. 
Its not fun if you are wanting to "Tonya Harding" someone! Listen to your thoughts. Keep it kind. Jealousy is a bitter fruit. If you find yourself thinking snarky thoughts of what others have or are doing you really need to check your heart. We should be lifting one another up, encouraging each other. I see so many women not able to even look at another women. We size each other up and down, we whisper, we jab but the real problem isn't them, its US. 
Listen to your thoughts. Do your own inventory. Keep it friendly. Keep it kind. 

Run the Mitt: 
Supports OPC Meals on Wheels
Checkpoints:
  1. South Haven=215 miles
  2. Manistee=146 miles
  3. Traverse City=124 miles
  4. Mackinaw City=111 miles
  5. Tawas=164 miles
  6. Bay City=69 miles
  7. Lexington= 32 miles
  8. Rochester=74 miles
Total Entrants: 324
The four of us are top 16! 
Doug is 6th place
Andy is 13th place
Antonio is 14th place and I am 16th place. 


Inspiration Station
"Learning never exhausts the mind" Leonardo da Vinci

 THE Boys! As ridiculous as they are, as competitive as they are, as inappropriate as they can be, they are pretty awesome. Doug is a speed machine! Antonio is the energizer bunny and Andy, that guys got grit! I may get exhausted running with these guys and more exhausted trying to keep up with them but I have learned a lot along the way. Like I will never look as good in tights as Doug does. Or the difference between getting chafed and a jellyfish sting, thank you Antonio. Or that even my husband sandbags runs and hides his miles from even his WIFE to get ahead. 
These Guys! 

Thankful for all my other running partners last week. 
12 miles with Lacey
13 miles with Chris B
10 miles with Danielle. 

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment