"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 1, 2021

Snow Moon Trail Run. Recap & Reminders

 "Your greatest runs are rarely measured by racing success. They are moments in time when running allows you to see how wonderful your life is." Kara Goucher, World Championship Silver Medalist



Snow Moon Run is a 5K loop in the Midland City Forest Park. This year marks my 4th year attending. Last year, I had tore my meniscus and walked the course with my new friend Elizabeth, shouting "The parties in the BACK!" 

This year, Doug, Antonio, Andy and I were heading to Midland a little different. Due to Covid the race changed their time from a night race to a afternoon race with a rolling start, finishing before 11pm. 

Plot Twist: 
Thursday night I get a random text from Lacey:
"What time are you picking me up on Saturday?" 
I responded in mass confusion. I couldn't figure out where her communication was going until she sent me a screen shot of her race registration and followed up with this question:
"How many miles is a 25K anyways?" 

RULE #1: Look Good!
One rule I was taught many years ago was "LOOK GOOD"! 
Lacey and I squeezed in the back seat of Dougs Subaru in our Dona Jo skirts and compression socks. It was 45' out. The best weather I have ever had for Snow Moon. 

The Plan:
  • 25K- 5 loops 30-32 minutes a loop
  • Not racing, have fun, don't break an ankle or face plant. 
  • Did I mention have fun? 
I have never raced Snow Moon. The trail conditions have never been something I wanted to risk injuring myself. I am like fine china, I break pretty easy! 
I was so excited to have Lacey running beside me that anything else was a bonus. 

Snow Moon Rundown: 
It took a full loop to get our trail legs adjusted to the sloppy, icy mess. My legs were slipping left, right and center. The first mile, I made a turn and almost wiped out leaving Lacey peeing her pants laughing. It felt soo good to laugh, to run together, to do what we love like we used to. For the next few loops I got to enjoy  no Covid, no masks, no politics just our little bubble in the Midland Forest. 
We smiled cheering on every runner especially focusing on the ladies. Us girls need to be cheering each other on more. "I love your skirts..." was the response we got from so many gals. We even had "Best dressed goes to you two.." Even if our pace wasn't flying the compliments were! 
By the 3rd loop we had our groove going. Now Lacey hasn't ran more than 12 miles in 2 weeks. But that girls got grit. She got quiet and never wavered. 
We loved coming into the shoot to hear them holler "Lacey and Anita..." I'm not sure what gave it away that we were together but we stayed that way all the way to the finish. 


We ALL took 1st place in our age group! They all crushed it. It was so exciting to hear that we all placed.
Results 
14th of 43 overall
4th of 20 female
1st of 5 age group


 The Fear of Failure. 
Andy woke up Sunday in the hurt locker. I couldn't relate. Nothing hurt. Lacey was struggling as well. Of course, she was she hadn't ran in those conditions ever as well as that distance. 
What I was struggling with was failure, was fear, was the fear of failure, I was struggling with myself. 
I am just scared. 
I am scared to set goals. I just keep failing at them. It hurts. I am scared to push myself. I am scared to break. I am scared to try. 
I decided I needed to push myself on Sunday. I needed to feel what they felt. I was inspired by their GRIT. I went back and forth on my plan. 
This is me being transparent. I think Cancer pretty well rattled me. Humbled me. I am scared to death to come off arrogant or confident. If God was trying to send me a message the one I got LOUD and clear was Give Him all the Glory. I Own Nothing. In my fear, I get confused on my focus. 
I decided to just set another goal, fight all of hell to get it, and if I fail, keep trying but don't let failure steal my focus. 
Tempo run. 10 miles. 3m w/u, 5m race pace, 2 miles c/d.  I needed to feel pain again. I needed to be reminded of how bad grit feels. This was going to be my race. 
Those first 3 miles were not as easy as I thought. This brought more fear to me. When I finished mile 3 I said one last prayer and dug my toes in. With everything I had I hung on. 
Mile 4 Check
Mile 5 Check
Mile 6 Check
Mile 7 Check
Mile 8 Check. 
My legs hurt so bad. It was a crawl back home. But by the grace of God, I did it. 

Psalm 119:71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I could learn Your statutes.
I am learning, learning all over again. I am finding balance somewhere in between pain and play. 
  
My Inspiration: 
Lacey. This girls got GRIT. She always has. She doesn't brag, or share her bad a$$ery with the world. Honestly, some of the biggest battles she has fought many will never know. She has been fighting all of hell since the day she was birthed. I love this girl like a sister. 



  • “It is better to make a thousand failures than to be too cowardly to ever undertake anything.” Clovis G. Chappell


Congrats to Dale D, Shirley and Mark M, Elizabeth J, Ryan L, Donna C. It was great seeing you all out there smiling! 

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment