"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Glory in Suffering.

Romans 5:3-4
"..but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope.."


My mother in law texted me throughout my 50K (31miles) training run today several times. She continued to check on me and pray for me. She is so good to me. One of the last text messages I received said "Hi Maria, why in the world are you running so many miles in this hot weather?"
I responded:
"I have a big race Fathers Day weekend, that Saturday. So unfortunately this was my peak week and unfortunately God decided he was going to make it hotter than Hades!

Monday I wanted to run a marathon distance, 26.2 on back roads. It was 92' out.
Wednesday I brought my miles way back, running 7 miles of trails and 3 miles of roads with the XC kids. I ran them both slow and easy in hopes I would have a successful run today.
Thursday, TODAY, my goal was to run a 50K on the trails.

I was still a tad beat up from Mondays run. My belly is recovering from being chaffed and my back is all scratched up from my hydration pack and being sun burnt.
And not to get too personal but it is my girly week, I am pooped.

PREPARE and PLAN:
A lot of thought went into this run. I planned this a couple weeks ago. Planning something that far out does not make the anxiety go away. It almost enhances it because you know you have a date with Suffering.
I made a mini aid station and invited all my running friends to come play with me.
I brought extra clothes and water. 
It was soo nice, all of us running multiple loops brought something, Gatorade, coolers, watermelon, Tostitos, Vernors, cold rags to cool off, grapes, apples and the list goes on!

The RUNDOWN: 
Location: Holly Rec. 5 loops -ish
Distance: 50K, 31miles
Time: 6:52
Pace: 13:15. 


Romans 5:3-4
"..but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope.."

This verse came to my mind somewhere around mile 20. At that point I was adding my miles wrong, my eyes felt like they had cotton in them from all the pollen, I could smell my funk (It was mighty nasty), and I was getting tired. I had pickers slash my thighs from the overnight "Lush" forest ground covering. The bugs were so bad the first 2 loops they left my shoulder blades looking like ground beef. I put bugs spray on, however, the sweat just canceled everything out but my stench.
I would be lying if I told you running was easy peasy today.
I knew it would be hard.
I knew I would need my friends to come along side me.
And I knew I had to "Do the Hard Things".


And it was WONDERFUL! Glory in our sufferings.
Rachel helped me recite this verse.
One mile at a time. I didn't do 31 miles. I did one mile 31 times. Each mile, each loop was a victory.
With each mile and the annoyances that I was struggling with was another mile I was so proud of myself for not quitting.
I was finding strength in what I had overcome. It wasn't that the training was any easier because it wasn't, I felt more confident as I overcame.
The farther I got, mile 25, 26 I knew I could finish but I had to coach myself. I would tell myself things like "Steady.." or "You are what you think". I wouldn't just run, I would whisper to myself different training tips. Trying to drown out any negative thoughts. Character building.
I really had so much HOPE. I had the support of my tribe, my mother in law and Andy texted me "YOU got THIS!" through out my run.

This verse was a great reminder to me as I ran that Suffering is a place we need to camp at more often.
When we suffer we not only rely on God more, trusting him, but we grow in character and in out Faith. 

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment