"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Warrior Attitude

" The key ingredient, in my opinion, to successful mental training is what I refer to as a "warrior attitude."
Bob Glover and Shelly Glover, The Competitive Runners Handbook." 

The Warrior Attitude.

To me that is grit, sweat, sacrifice. The warrior attitude is a little bit of fear mixed with adrenaline. It is setting goals, dreams and ideas that are bigger than we are.
It is tackling what life brings you with perseverance and integrity.

Tuesday our XC team was preparing for our second meet. I asked a few kids how they felt.
"I'm scared."
"I'm nervous."
I RESPONDED "GOOD! That's where I want you. Use that fear to drive you, that fear will turn to adrenaline. That is what will power you."

As I get older I question my "Warrior Attitude."
Some battles I choose to no longer fight. I like to think of this as strategic battling. It is not really throwing in the towel rather letting go to protect yourself. You are not going to go into battle and come out without a few wounds.
Some battles are not worth the damage.

Choose your battle wisely.

 Everyday we are presented with a new battle. The battle to forgive. The battle to Love. The battle to not use drugs or alcohol if you are an addict. The battle to fight the mental demons that want to defeat and confuse you. The battle to not flip off that person on the expressway or the battle to be a good parent.
So many battles we are ALL fighting.

Fighting HURTS. Pain HURTS. The wounds will heal far faster than the feelings of quitting. Quitting doesn't make it easier, it just prolongs the inevitable.
Learn to feel. Learn to feel the pain of persevering.
Having a "Warrior Attitude" is exactly that. It starts in the mind. Then let your actions follow.


I KNOW God carries in me my Fear. "Fear NOT for I am with you." I am not alone in my fears. I know I just have to give Him my BEST and He will take care of the rest. He wants me to trust Him. When I am nervous, scared, confused that is when He strengthening me. I love that feeling.
That is PEACE. He is going into battle with me.



T-3 DAYS for Highland Loops.
This is my 17 mile trail run. The course is very technical. Last Monday, when I ran out there we were running a pretty good speed and I went head over heels. The rest of my clan didn't even know I had biffed it. My fall was actually at epic proportions. I tumbled like a gymnast, I was more sad no one was there to see it!
Lacey, Claudia and I ran it again this past Monday. We ran it steady and easy. I still tripped like 2 times. I think once one of the roots reached up and grabbed me. The spider webs were so bad maybe I just couldn't see...Or maybe it was the greenery that sprung up overnight that tricked me and caught me "off guard."
The good news is, running the 17 mile trail run 5 days before the race was good training. My legs didn't feel any soreness confirming we ran it steady and smooth.
MY "Warrior Attitude: for this race....
Hmm. I want it all. I want to have fun and laugh but I also want to run well and beat my time from last year.
I am not sure if I can have both sides of the coin. If I have too much fun I am going to need to punch it in the second half of the race.
We shall see.

TAPERING. 
Monday: 17 Highland Rec. + 2.5 miles at XC coaching.
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: 2 miles XC with kids.

The weather has been hard to NOT run. But having fresh legs for Saturday is more important. Thankfully, Life has been VERY busy making it easy to taper.


"As a man thinketh so is he"
Proverbs 23:7
The Foundation for a Warrior Attitude. Crash the chatter in your ears. Coach yourself out of the negativity.
Not a good Warrior Attitude!

There is NO room for NEGITIVITY. Do not make space of hate, hurt, defeat, anger, bitterness, regret.....


Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment