"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Highland Loops Recap: MARCOOO!

Highland Loops 16 mile trail Run RECAP. 
Where: Highland Rec
When: May 19th, 8AM
Who: Claudia, Rachel and Kris..saw Steve H and a few other faces without names.
Weather: 60' Rain. Humid and Moist (yep, I just had to say it!)

"Weather Bug" did not match the conditions that we were hiding from in Kris's Van. It was raining, at times it would sprinkle but then down it came. When we eventually ventured out.

My goal was to stay upright, have fun and beat last years time.

Us girls all started out together. Rachel took the lead and the rest of us came in behind her on the single track trail.
The trail was wet with occasional mud puddles. I tried to avoid the puddles because I am a big baby and don't like sloshing for miles in my shoes.
You had to be careful maneuvering too much due to the slick mixture the dirt and rain created.

THE ANNOYING RUNNER: 
That would be me!
The first two miles I yell my infamous "MARCOOOOO"! Before I even have a second to enjoy the FUN response "POLO" I get another response.
The guy two people in front of me barks back "OH NO! Not YOU! I remember you from last year and you were so annoying!"
He quickly sucked the fun out of the air leaving all of us runners awkwardly silent. I had a half dozen things I really wanted to say, saying nothing and reserving my energy to beat him was my best revenge.

The Rachel the Rabbit. 
I wanted to run with my girls. I wanted to run faster than last year. Rachel was strong and leading us. She was keeping a great pace, thinking about my goal and pushing herself as well.
Every so often she would ask me if I wanted to break off.
I didn't want to leave them. I would say "Naw, not yet."

My Cake and Eat it too: My Strategy
To run through the aid stations, no dilly dallying.
I wanted to run with the gals for about 2 hours. I was hoping at that point I would only have about 6miles or less. The last loop "A" loop is mostly downhill.
The 2hour limit came and Rachel coaxed me to split.

Breaking Away:
I hate breaking away. But I knew I should have before I did. I had been running very comfortable. Within minutes of me separating from my girls I felt the adrenaline surge.
I felt my nerves puckering. My breathing was louder. My heart was pumping and my skin was prickly. This is what it feels like to RACE. I had to beat the clock. I had to dig in because I was going to really be cutting it close.

I slowly began to pick people off. When you pass someone it is a mental battle to make sure you can maintain your pace and not have them comeback on you.
My legs felt so light. I had slipped a few times but never tripped, dipped or flipped.
I was drinking water and grabbing orange slices from the aid stations. Claudia had given me a redskin potato and that was like Mana from Heaven before I had split off  from her.

But what I didn't know, Is that Claudia split off right after me. She was just a few seconds behind me. I was so proud of her. I would see her on the switchbacks and yell. "GO Claudia."
I even saw a old trail friend of mine, Steve H and pulled him out of a aid station to run with me.

Racing the Clock.
I was afraid to look at my watch. With 2 miles to go, I knew there wasn't any time banked. The last loop is mostly downhill.
Because of the wet trail I was afraid to fly down the hills. I was so nervous I would slip on the slimy leaves, or trip on the hidden roots or even twist my ankle on the rocks scattered everywhere.
But I HAD to run scared, run fast to beat my time.

The last marker reads "16.5".  I had a half a mile-ish to go and 5 minutes to do it.
I recognized the bridge, the rocks, that little incline turn, I was close.

It is so fun coming out of the trail head, especially knowing you made your goal and see your hubby at your Finish LINE!
I was so delighted to see Andy standing there ringing cowbells. Totally shocked too.
Best RACE food ever!

RUNDOWN:
Time 3:00:50

I beat the mean guy.
Choose your words wisely. I would like to think us runners don't behave like that but unfortunately we are all human.
Words HURT.
Yes, I am a bit high spirited, but I am not malicious, mean or purposely hurtful.
I know I drive some crazy, Jeesh, I drive myself crazy. But as a runner, I will cheer you on, I will encourage you, pump you up and be your biggest fan.
I may do it obnoxiously, ridiculously and full of energy but I don't do it to be mean.
I am NOT GOING to lie. His words STUNG. He stripped the smile off my face, and sucked the joy out of my run. I struggled for a few miles in silence.
Eventually I got my MOJO back and reminded myself to SMILE. To be ME.


PS...My tribe ROCKED out our age group!
I got 2nd
Claudia 3rd
Rachel 4th
Kris 6th
WTG Team Squishytoes!

Anita~

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on pushing through the pain, fatigue, tough trail conditions, and annoyances to beat yourself (last years time). Thanks for pushing me out there. Your encouraging spirit is infectious! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete