"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, November 16, 2015

Ladders arent just for putting in light bulbs.

I am a undiagnosed victim of ADHD.  And I say victim because it haunts me.
I am easily distracted, sleep terrible, I struggle focusing and here's the cherry on top, I am so forgetful.
We had a meeting last night in Lake Orion for work. It started at 5 and ended at 8. I was in the chair, out of the chair, back in the chair, on my right leg, switched to the left leg, sitting on both legs, then my legs fell asleep, it was almost too much.

The great thing about running outside is there is always something to distract me. Between my crazy thoughts that are constantly interrupting each other, the ever changing scenery and the tweaks my body undergoes I am rarely bored.

Sometimes, I don't always have the options to run outside. I am not a die hard winter runner. A running friend of mine, Andy J creates a winter running game to keep us runners active in the winter months. I did it one year, the first year, I came out strong like a lion but when the temps not only got colder and the wind kicked in, I jumped out! I am a wuss when it comes to being cold.

One of my favorite RUNNING WORKOUTS is The LADDER. I like the ladder because you can't get bored. It is fast, ever changing and fulfilling because it uses different distances. You have to be good at one of them right?! Another reason I like them is they get mentally easier when you are on the downward repeats.

The LADDER: You start short, get longer, then come back down. You can create any combination that you like.

This is what mine look like:
  • 1 mile warm up
  • 2X400m
  • 2X800m
  • 2Xmile
  • 2X800m
  • 2X400m
  • 1 mile cool down
  • I do an easy shuffle jog/walk in between all repeats.
  • Total miles: App 9.
My ladder workout is longer because I train for longer distances. If you are training for a half Marathon you might want to change your repeats. That is the beauty of a Ladder Workout, you can put in whatever combinations you like.
And for us easily distracted runners, it is wonderful because the degree of distance not only is changing but so it the degree of PAIN!

This time of year, I make a lot of soups. It is difficult for me too share the specific ingredients and measurements because I am the "Eyeball type". I just add a little of this and a little of that.
It is usually a freezer/fridge flush.
I spend a lot of money on my fruits and vegetables. I typically buy organic and HATE wasting. Soup is a great way to finish off those vegetables your family didn't finish or wouldn't touch!

Todays Fridge FLUSH: Turkey Vegetable Soup:

  • 1 Tablespoon Wildtree European Garlic dipping oil
  • 1Teaspoon Trader Joes Garlic Garlic grinder
  • 1 Teaspoon Wildtree rancher steak rub
  • 1 Teaspoon pepper
  • Leeks
  • Parsnips
  • Celery
  • Ground Turkey
  • Organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup Vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup Pacific organic low sodium tomato soup
Slice Veg. Sauté vegetables in oil, substitute Grapeseed oil has a high flash point, just add some fresh garlic cloves and  parsley.  5-7 min.
Brown meat, add to veg, add seasonings, tomatoes, broth and soup.
Simmer on stove till vegetables are tender.
Serve with fresh Parmesan.


Give me some FEEDBACK: Has anyone tried the cookies??
What combination do YOU use for a LADDER WORKOUT??

RUNDOWN:
Total Miles 7.5

  • 3.1 miles with Sheba, My boxer. I mentioned going to play outside with her but then couldn't find her collar. She is such a good girl. We ran the backroads and she stayed right beside me!
  • 4.4 miles with Lacey. We were running in shorts and tank tops! I think we may have even gotten TAN LINES!
We ran smart. Yesterday, Lacey ran 9 miles and I ran 11 miles. ALL HILLS. Todays run, was more of a recovery run. Or a FUN RUN!!!

Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment