"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Wednesdays Wisdom: Pick your Passion

I thought about Aunt Lois today as the gym. Last week, Aunt Lo made a comment about one of my past posts.  She had commented that I should give more eye contact and "Chit Chat, if only a little".
I would have gotten a golden star today! Every time, I gave eye contact it sparked conversations! This ran me behind and turned my 5 miler into 2 miles.

I spoke to the assistant coach at Grand Blanc today.
He reminded me of a little runner Wisdom.

You Can't have it ALL.
Pick Your Passion.
For those who might not know this, I HATE 5K's. Just as I get comfortable the race is over. I hardly have enough time to think. My lungs are blowing out of my chest, my breathing is labored, I actually feel like I am in labor and everything hurts right from the get go. My pores open up, my skin starts itching and my mind goes berserk to where I can hardly even think.
So, I do not train to run fast for a 5K. The work that is required to run a victorious 5K is never in my training plan.
I love long distance. I like longer runs. I put all my eggs in that basket. I train long distance. I run 800 meter repeats with a specific goal time, I run tempo runs, hills and different training runs to achieve my marathon distance goals.

But the two distances are so different. The training for a half marathon VS a marathon is even different. Pick Your Passion. Trying to achieve success in both distances is very difficult.

If I am training for a marathon, I will still run 5 and 10K's. I will still run them with everything I have, However; I will not be disappointed in my time. I know that race is a training tool for my marathon. I didn't TRAIN for that distance, I used that distance to train for my longer distance.

If you are training to run faster shorter distances, you have to slow down your longer distances and add more short fast runs, more tempo training runs and adjust your training to a smaller distance. It is more effective to put your efforts into training with focus and goals.

2015 is right around the corner. Now is a great time to give some thought to what you want your running season to look like.
  1. Tune in on where you want your training to direct you.
  2. Check out the race schedule around you for 2015.
  3. Review your races and times for this year.
  4. Pick your passion.
  5. Partner up, Find a partner with similar goals that will hold you accountable.
  6. HAVE FUN, don't be so serious that you forget your love for running.
  7. If you struggle to have fun, PACE someone, And help them with their goal. It is always better to give then receive.

"When you catch a glimpse of your potential, that's when passion is born." Zig Zigler

Love to hear your goals for 2015!

Anita



No comments:

Post a Comment