Looking back over my running career I have had my share of injuries. The current injury seems so defeating to me. IT band is a jumbled nagging injury.
"Sure you can run on it, if it hurts stop."
You can't tell me that. I will run on the stupid thing. I will run until I can no longer run.
Yesterday, I decided to run 2 easy miles. And even in the hot temperatures they were so easy I didn't get much of a sweat going.
I saw Ken H. out there rocking out a tempo run. As he passed me, he shouted out his speedy digits. I kept running hoping he wouldn't see me turning green with envy. I smiled as I passed him and yelled something like "Nice JOB BUTTHEAD!" Then I moved along at my turtle pace heading back to home.
That run felt great.
Todays 3 miler, not so good.
Back and forth I go. I think I am able to get back in the saddle again only to follow up my good run with a crappy one.
I feel so torn. Back and forth.
It is like life. One day you are on top of the world. You have life in the palm of your hands. Then BAM! You get this sucker punch that knocks the wind right out of you. You are on the sidelines confused and discouraged.
How do we go from everything being Jim Dandy and Peachy keen to beaten up and left for dead?
I need to go Back to the Basics. Look over everything and to see what I am missing.
In RUNNING the Basics go like this:
- Interval Training: start with the walk run method, gradually running more than you are walking.
- Stretch and ROLL: warm up well. (Active stretching) you can be stretching and rolling or you can briskly walk before you begin running.
- Mix it UP!: Vary your running surfaces.
- Proper Running Form: Run with a strong core.
- Inspire to Perspire: Find what inspires you, a friend, a log, power music..
- Easy does it: Try not to over do it. Use the 10% rule.
In Life the Basics for ME go Like This:
- Pray. Seek God in all I do, Give thanks, seek forgiveness, wisdom and direction. Ask him to do great and mighty things: Jeremiah 33:3 "Call unto me and seek me and I will show you great and mighty things which thou knowest not"
- Remove the things holding me down: "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1
- Finding JOY in my circumstances: James 1:2-4 "Count it pure joy my brethren whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
Sometimes in our Pain we forget our true Purpose.
Side Note: We will have a special blog on Matt A's experience out west. He has a inspiring story of being on a team to support a ultra running to his victory.
Should be sometime later this week.
Special Prayer Requests:
Aunt LO. Andys Aunt Lois from Chicago has been diagnosed with lymphoma. She starts her chemo-treatment this week. Please lift her in prayer for Strength, Courage and Healing.
A dear friend of mine just lost her father unexpectedly. Please Pray for Rachel and her family in their heartbreak and loss.
"God Made you as You Are In Order To Use You As He Planned."