"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, November 11, 2013

Walking in someone else's shoes.


I have been blessed to have been given some "hand me downs".
I grew up on items like these. I am always thankful.
Kristy gave me a amazing pair of Hokas.
And just recently Kelli from my work gave me a pair of Merrell's.

Kelli's shoes were more broke in. They had signs of wear on them. I love shoes like these to knock around in.
On my day off I slipped my feet into them to go to the gym and run errands.
As I walked around the track at Genysis I looked down at my new pair of shoes. I thought about Kelli. I wondered where these shoes had taken her. If these shoes could tell her story.

Everyone has a story. It does not matter how much the shoes cost, how fancy or worn out they are. There is still a story.

Are you good at walking in someone else's' shoes?

What does it even mean to walk in someone else's shoes?

Sometimes it means "GET OVER YOURSELF!"
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. (Rom. 12:15)
The Beaver Cleaver days are coming to an end. Say goodnight John boy! Yeah, there are still some cookie cutter families out there with white picket fences but not many. And don't be quick to judge those either.
Pain and suffering hurts.
We try to avoid it at all cost and sometimes we also find that we even avoid others' pain and suffering because we don't want to feel that either. OUCH!
As I walked around the track I wondered how many hard days  Kelli had in these shoes.
A few years ago my grandma was in the hospital dying. It was terribly gut wrenching to see her dying. She was 99 years old and like a mother to me. She weighed about 60lbs and  hardly recognized me when I would visit her.
A few days later in the middle of conversation someone brought up my grandma.
Someone in the group conversation responded to me saying "Yeah, I cant really think about that, I am sorry but I have my own problems to deal with."
I was just conversing, not looking for sympathy; however, I was totally shocked by the response.
I have heard those words more than once come out of that persons mouth and it crushes me. Because we all have problems. We all have pain and we have something we are trying to endure.
Walking in others peoples struggles can be a struggle for us as well but the impact we can have out weighs the burden we will often endure with that person.

Looking beyond Face Value:
Love your neighbor as yourself. (Matt. 22:39)
These old shoes of Kellis had her story branded in them. Kelli was thoughtful enough to give something she loved to me. They no longer fit her. With my feet all cozied up in them I saw the marks and wear on them. The were not new. They were not sparkling.
They were used but not useless.
We often look at one another with judgment. In the first 10 seconds we meet someone we have usually already judged them just by what they look like!
They fit perfectly. Not everyone looks or acts like us. But there is a story they have that might need your compassion and love.
Looks are deceiving. Beauty is inward, look beyond.
Funny, Kristi gave me these 170$ HOKAS. To look at them they are the nuttiest shoe you have ever seen. They look like a corrective shoe. If you were offered this shoe to wear and did not know the brand name many of you would pass on this shoe. You wouldn't even know that it was the one of the best shoes out there. But we too quickly judge things by the way they look.

Some of my crazy ramblings.
I challenge you to take a minute to text that person that could use some encouragement. Smile at that person that doesn't look like you. Listen to that person that drives you crazy. Be that person that someone else needs. Walk in someone elses' shoes. Hear their story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Rundown:
Walk ran 1 mile.
I did a circuit. sits-up- Bosu with weights and a trampoline- 5lb weights shadow boxing-
It felt so good. I was sore this morning from yesterdays hills although I could still work through it.
Cold Plunge 12 min.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every Tuesday I make Kelli and I lunch. We do potlucks together for lunch.
Last week I made Garlic White Bean and Kale Soup.


BACON, WHITE BEAN, AND KALE SOUP

4 slice smoked bacon
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cans (15 oz each) navy beans (I also like Butterbeans and white kidney beans)
2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
4 cup coarsely chopped kale


Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; set aside.

Add onion, carrot, and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 10 minutes.

Add beans, broth, and water; and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add kale; simmer 10 minutes, or until kale is tender.

Stir in crumbled bacon just before serving.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ANITA~





2 comments:

  1. I like your challenge :) ... we don't think about the paths everyone else walks, do we?

    That soup looks YUMMY! Wonder if it would work well vegetarian style (no bacon -veggie broth)... I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, It is my challenge as well. I think it would be great vegetarian style. Especially with the beans in it. I like the idea of putting a veggie base with it also.

      Delete