"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Commom Runners Lingo and Runners Short Hand


"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
 -- Helen Keller
I very rarely say "no" to meeting up with people to run. Last spring I was a mentor/coach for my sons school, training for a marathon and also assistant coaching my sons CC team. I loved all the running.
Running is a way to escape for me. Running is a passion. I love running, coaching, and mentoring.

"Jessica" asked me a couple terms for training this week. I could have given her the easy route and just defined them but I thought it would be more fun to SHOW her!

Double TIME! 1 For me and  1 for Jessica
"Jessica" wanted to know the terms:
TEMPO RUN: These runs help to teach your body how to run faster before fatiguing.
Run a mile easy- 2-3 miles TEMPO- 1 mile cool down
Tempo runs should be comfortably difficult. The tempo pace should be about RACE PACE.

REPEATS: These are fast portions of  running with rest periods in between. They are often performed at the track. Common Repeats are 400meter: best used for training 5K's and 10K's and 800 meter repeats are commonly used for marathon training. Repeats are a well known form or speed work.

Today "Jessica" and I met at the Clarkston Junior High track at 9:25am.
TRAINING:
I did 2 miles W/U  I got there early. She did 1 mile w/u
4X400m repeats w/ 400m brisk walk
2X800m repeats w/ 400mbrisk walk.
1mile c/d

Runner Terms and Short Hand
c/d: Cool Down
w/u: Warm up
LSD: Long Slow Distance
PR: Personal Record
XT: Cross Training
HMP: Half Marathon Pace
Negative Splits: Running the second half of a race faster than the first half.
Fartlek: SPEED Play, Swedish term, speed work format in which you run faster for however long(or short) you want.

When Jessica arrived at the track I was just finishing up my first mile. "So are you ready for the pain?!"
I walked a little bit with Jessica prepping her for the hurt locker. As I described how the next few miles looked for her, she was still smiling. Actually she looked excited. That look didn't last long. It didn't last even through the first repeat!
For either of us.
Have you ever gone to the gym and you hear the meat heads dropping the dumb bells making animalistic noises. They do everything but beat their chest like King Kong. I could have given them a run for their money today. Or any day I am doing speed work.
The 400 meter repeats are not so bad, they are over rather quickly. But the 800m repeats are as bad as putting your foot in a blender. At first I can just hear my breathing however, the second 400m I am grunting and grumbling. I can hear my voices screaming out. I think I even heard Jessica's screaming profanities at me.

 The first 400m I can hear myself say things like:
"Ugh, can I hold this pace?"
"Crap, it is already burning."  
"Oh Dear God put me out of my misery."
The second 400m sounds like this:
"SHUT UP and RUNNN!"
"GO GO GO, NITA"
"Turn Em OVER, Turn em Over"

After it was all over I was shocked to see Jessica pull out another smile. She actually really enjoyed it. The girls is crazy!

Well the fun was not over yet. I was heading back home to meet "Jama" for a few more miles. The day was perfect, I couldn't say "No". I am thankful no one else called me though!
I managed to get 11 miles in total today. Jama was nice to me. We ran a sub 9 pace and I was glad the legs were still useful after the track work out.

"Jessica" texted me this evening. She said she was having to "Pick her legs up"!! Ice Ice Baby!!


The Devotional of Running.
"The World is full of Suffering, it is also full of Overcoming it." --Helen Keller
 
Speed work hurts. But if you want to get stronger,better and faster it is very helpful. I am reminded of life so much so when I want to quit in the middle of a 800 meter repeat. As I am turning the corner I just feel so defeated. My lungs are gasping for air and my legs are not sure why I am torturing them. I have to coach myself. I have to dig deep and convince my mind and body "I can DO all Things..." But the Pain wants to knock me over. The Pain wants to welcome in Defeat.
PAIN is the key element to not only being an Overcomer but also being QUITTER. '
ASK Yourself...WHICH one Are YOU?
PAIN no matter physical, spiritual or emotional well leave a print in your heart that will last forever.
Most of us can recall Pain within seconds of being asked. we can describe a moment we were overcome with it. Many will never invite Pain into their lives. But to those who know pain and have conquered it also know they can overcome it and be BETTER from it.

How would you describe Pain? What characteristics have you discovered within yourself that are a result from OVERCOMING Pain?

Anita




No comments:

Post a Comment