"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Loopty Loops.

Sunday was Loopty Loops. This was a 6 hour relay race that I had signed up for weeks ago.
I have been looking forward to it and nervous all in the same thought.

I liked the design of the race. 2 mile loops that you and your partner take turns on. This allowed me to rest while my partner was running. All I had to do was convince myself that it was only 2 miles I had to get through.

Rachel was my partner. We both were using this as a training run.


For me, I needed to see how my body would do for 6 hours. I needed to see how I felt after Carboplatin and running. I needed to see how I could tolerate the heat and I wanted to see how my body ran. For what purpose you may ask. read on, there really is a method to my madness.

Oh did I find out!

Rachel drove Lacey and I out to Bloomer Park where the race was. We arrived at 7:15am. The race didn't even start until 9am, oops, we may have gotten a little too excited. Especially when we were there with the race directors setting up!
We had 4 of us running, 2 teams: Team Switchback, Lacey and Matt, and Team Lost in Pace, Rachel and I.
Our set up was outrageous! We had a tent, signs, cowbells, a picnic table with a full on aid station. We had a swimming pool with floaties, water, Gatorade, Vernors, I worked on a old school playlist for a week, bringing my wireless speakers to jam to.
Food, we had everything covered, potatoes, oranges slices, Moms chocolate chip cookies, bacon, chips, watermelon, pizza the list goes on. I think I actually gained weight!

Rachel decided she would run first. With over 30 teams and a 5k, the trail
run started promptly at 9am.
Rachel and I had these super cute galaxy skirts on with matching tanks. When Rachel came through at 19 minutes I headed out all smiles.
Those smiles quickly disappeared within the first mile.
I couldn't catch my breath. Andy had reminded me earlier that week when I had gotten my blood work done and my hemoglobin was 8.6 that I was going to struggle breathing and catching my breath.
That was the understatement of the year!

I had hopes that maybe it would get better once I "WARMED UP".

That cute skirt made it 1 loop! When I came in to switch with Rachel, my legs were dripping in sweat.
Claudia came to cheer us all on and so did Joe Burns. The humidity and heat was no joke.

My goal was to try to maintain 20 minute loops. I didn't want to over do it and thought that was a reasonable time.
The loops never felt better. 
Even with more support and cheering from friends, I couldn't get my breath down. I had no shame in walking and even found my loops running longer, 21 minutes.
Pam and Dave showed up around the same time as Erin and Melissa. We had so much support hanging out with us, this made it really fun.
When I wasn't running I was eating, drinking, and trying to relax, as long as a good song didn't come on!

I was really hoping to get 8 loops in. My 7th loop I ran with Lacey. It was so nice to have someone to run with. It made it a lot easier, We were both on the struggle bus. Everyone had slowed their pace down, the heat had become a real evil.
My 8th loop, Rachel was waiting, "Hey, you can go slow, no hurry", wink wink.
But the clock said otherwise. 5:13pm. If I could get back by 5:35 she could get one more loop in.

Only 2 more miles, right? It was a suckfest. Physically nothing hurt, but I was fading fast, or maybe I had already faded, and I was delusional.

I entered the trail, somewhat smiling. The trail was fully covered and glided downhill for almost a half a mile. It was beautiful. It was a Sunday family day for many  on the trail. We shared the trail with a lot of bikers too.
The trail leveled out spitting you unto a very flat straight stretch below power lines. Once you completed this you had accomplished your easiest of the two mile loop.
I hit that 2nd mile with a little competitive spirit trying so hard to get to Rachel by 5:35. I had switched my watch over to time trying to race the clock. But the second loop contained a nasty winding hill I had walked every time. This loop would be no exception.
With each step up that hill my breathing got worse. I hated that I was not in control of my body. I was so angry that I was a victim of my condition. I felt trapped in my own body, limited.
I kept telling myself to do the best I could.
Once I hit the top of the hill I was begging my body to calm down and relax.
I had a half a mile, I walked a few more seconds.
The trail was narrow with switchbacks and roots. I just had to stay focused, picking up my feet was important. I could hear the finish line spectators.
I was excited when I got excited, if that makes sense.
I screamed "RACHEL" hidden behind the trees with the finishing line just on the other side.
I came in fast and Rachel was ready with a look of grit. She had 25 minutes to complete 2 miles.
I was glued to the clock. We were TIED, we needed this last loop.

Tick Tock. 5:53pm, I headed closer to the wooded trail head screaming "MARCO". I heard my partner, "POLO" I was so excited!
Rachel came through the woods tough as nails. I jumped in next to her, running behind her screaming to the finish line. She completed 9 loops, 18 miles.

We took 1st PLACE OVERALL FEMALE TEAM!
Take that Cancer! Rachel had to run the extra loop for the win, I was so proud of her.

Between all 4 of us running, and all those that came and hung out with us ALL day it was the a fun race. We all had so much fun. "Move It" fitness did a fabulous job directing the event.


I just wanted to do something I have been told I can not do by cancer. I wanted a little bit of me.  Just to feel that zeal of running, of racing.
Life has changed in so many ways. I have adapted pretty well. I locate my smile and attach it genuinely.
I have limitations that I have worked well with. Fighting the system doesn't has to be an option, just working within it allows me to stay positive and keeps me from finding myself in a dark place.

I have been signed up for Marquette 50miler since last Thanksgiving. That is in 3 weeks.
I am dropping down to the 50k and going to walk/jog it, quite possibibly 10 hours.
This was the one race Claudia had really talked me into last year. We got a hotel room together and had been planning this for months. This race is supposed to be beautiful.
Loopty loop was a gauge on how I would feel. A trial.

That's were we are at. I had my blood work yesterday and I got to see Dr. Cotan. Andy just sits there watching me be my goofy self, sharing more than I should and asking questions that are ridiculous.
My hemoglobin isn't going up and my white blood cells are not anything to brag about.
Andy will be administering me shots again starting today.
I am very blessed to have Andy as my advocate, even though I don't like the shots, I am lucky he can give them.


Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment