"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Friday, July 5, 2019

New Treatment. Taxol and Carboplatin


“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
—Lamentations 3:21-23
"EYEBROWS, I will be back to talk about those eyebrows."
This was a new face in a new place. My clinic was closed along with Troy so we had to travel to Royal Oak for treatment.
This lady had more spunk then all those of us in the waiting room. Her cancer had metastasized and it was in her lungs and throughout her body. But her spirits were joyous and optimistic.
She didn't have eyebrows, eyelashes and had lost several toe nails. She just wanted to see my eyebrows.
After 4 treatments of A/C I have:
  • lost most of my hair.
  • Lost my appetite for coffee
  • my fingertips are sensitive and there is hardly a fingerprint left
  • lost my under arm hair and other special places
  • my eyelashes are slowly falling out
  • my eyebrows are now beginning to fall out
Wednesday, I started the Taxol and the Carboplatin. I had a new gal take my blood. 
I had a new PA to give me my results. 
Hemoglobin was back up to 11.5! 
All my numbers looked great and so did my infected toe. 
And I had a new gal give me my chemo, Amy. 
Amy was great. My appointment was at 1:40, they didn't get me hooked up until after 3pm. 
Within 5 minutes of the Benadryl I was cashed out. My legs were twitching from one of my premeds. 
I was the last patient to leave the 16 bed clinic. Every bed was full at one point. Nurses were scurrying around and people were everywhere. It was sad. the long hallway had beds lining all the way down with patients hooked up to lines, many sleeping, such an assembly. The air smelled medicinal. It made my stomach turn. I could practically taste it. 
Chemo hall,
I woke up after 5pm to a empty hallway, cleaned, vacant and quiet, just me in the corner with my family. 
No card games this time!
I slept over 14 hours, except to eat and other necessary activities. 
Where I laid until bed time!
Andy smiled even though he wanted to stay home and smoke ribs!


Mom and I

But when I woke I was excited. It was the Fourth of July. I have been going to the Clarkston Parade with my family for 20 years. I was determined to go again. 
I painted the barn, looked for something festive to wear and convinced Andy I felt GOOD!
I had a nice time. Mom and dad came and so did my niece and her family. We really had fun. 
I wore a blue and white bandana around my head and stayed as confident as I could. 

But when it was over, I was DONE. I couldn't get home fast enough. 

I am normally a bit sicker. The carboplatin still did a number on me. But the side effects are not as intense. 
I worked a half a day today and slept all afternoon. 
Andy made dinner, he is getting good at using his smoker. Andy's mom gave us some macaroni salad and watermelon it was an easy dinner. I was able to eat and somewhat enjoy it. 

I have only had one menstrual cycle since this process. I RUN HOT most of the time now.  This is so new to me. My head as bald as it is feels like an inferno! I kick the covers off and hear myself whining through the night. 

In a nutshell this new treatment regime is less toxic. They say my hair may actually start growing back. 
We will see. 
One of two very special cards from my Pastors wife, 
My niece Becca with mom and I. 
The cards, the notes, the thoughtfulness and prayers have made this very difficult journey a lot smoother. I used to hate going to the mailbox because it was full of bills. Those bills are doubled but the cards have been such a blessing to me. I have saved EVERY one! 
A special card from my client Judy
This lil card was snuck in my bag in Mackinac from Lisa, one of our instructors. 

Thank you. 

Any one have any experience with the Carboplatin? How did you do on Taxol? 






No comments:

Post a Comment